1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Synthetic Blend.... Opinions Please!

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by GatorFan6908, Oct 26, 2010.

1. GatorFan6908

GatorFan6908 Member

Alright.. brand new 2010 Silverado... I have never maintained my vehicle with synthetic oil and I am curious about it. I have heard some say it's not better to run in your engine until mileage builds up a little but I am not too sure about that. I know it is worth it, but are there any "you should know this" pieces of information anyone can provide before I start? Thanks for the help and look forward to the replies!:great:

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

On a New Engine there is a break-in period.....On my truck which I bought New.....I did a Oil/filter changed at 500 miles and stayed with 10/30 Conventional Oil and at 1,000 miles...I did a Oil/filter changed and Went with a.....5/30 Full Synthetic Oil.....I think most would agree going with a Synthetic Oil is the way to go.

3. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Totally agree with 99'Heartbeat on this one,at least in my part of the country where it can get down to -60 celsius with the windchill in the winter.

4. swrevin36

swrevin36 New Member

My 2010 is getting it's first dose of Mobil 1 as I type this. I waited till the 5000 mile mark before I changed mine. Lot of different schools of thought but most will agree it's good to convert over in the first 10k.

5. tnhusker

tnhusker Rockstar

I recommend a synthetic over a synthetic blend. I normally use Mobil 1 but will be switching to Amsoil. I have done what I believe to be a lot of research and feel Amsoil would be the best oil. Using synthetics I have never had an engine failure or needed a rebuild. I also get improved gas mileage.

6. vms4evr

vms4evr Rockstar 100 Posts

Synthetic blends are a waste of money. Just run dino oil or use synthetic. The blend just seems like a half-assed solution.

7. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

I'll second synthetic. don't go 1/2 way, semi synthetic is an oxymoron. Also some new cars come w/ synthetic from the factory so you don;t have to wait long to change over...

I replaced the engine in my S-10 w/ a brand new crate engine @ 196269 miles and after two dino oil changes I switched to Mobil One. When I sold it 7 years later @ 308,000 you could pull the oil fill plug and take a flashlight & look at the overhead. It looked just the same as when I installed the new engine; clean and shiny. No sludge in the corners, no white moisture film sitting anywhere just new gray steel...I ran it 7,500 - 8,500 miles between changes...

I have a friend w/ a 40 mile, one way, commute. He does Amsoil and runs it 25K changing oil roughly once per year...

8. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

hey GatorFan----i agree with the others in not going semi-synthetic. Using Synthetic can't hurt, but no one really is sure if it improves performance/mileage, or makes the engine idle less, or if internal parts slide better----probably this thread is pretty much like opening up a can of worms---Oh Well, at least you care and are probably going to keep the GM for-ever and will also keep up on oil changes ( whatever you decide to use )(silverhobey in Canada )