Synthetic Blend.... Opinions Please!

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by GatorFan6908, Oct 26, 2010.

1. GatorFan6908

GatorFan6908 Member

Alright.. brand new 2010 Silverado... I have never maintained my vehicle with synthetic oil and I am curious about it. I have heard some say it's not better to run in your engine until mileage builds up a little but I am not too sure about that. I know it is worth it, but are there any "you should know this" pieces of information anyone can provide before I start? Thanks for the help and look forward to the replies!:great:

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

On a New Engine there is a break-in period.....On my truck which I bought New.....I did a Oil/filter changed at 500 miles and stayed with 10/30 Conventional Oil and at 1,000 miles...I did a Oil/filter changed and Went with a.....5/30 Full Synthetic Oil.....I think most would agree going with a Synthetic Oil is the way to go.

3. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Totally agree with 99'Heartbeat on this one,at least in my part of the country where it can get down to -60 celsius with the windchill in the winter.

4. swrevin36

swrevin36 New Member

My 2010 is getting it's first dose of Mobil 1 as I type this. I waited till the 5000 mile mark before I changed mine. Lot of different schools of thought but most will agree it's good to convert over in the first 10k.

5. tnhusker

tnhusker Rockstar

I recommend a synthetic over a synthetic blend. I normally use Mobil 1 but will be switching to Amsoil. I have done what I believe to be a lot of research and feel Amsoil would be the best oil. Using synthetics I have never had an engine failure or needed a rebuild. I also get improved gas mileage.

6. vms4evr

vms4evr Rockstar 100 Posts

Synthetic blends are a waste of money. Just run dino oil or use synthetic. The blend just seems like a half-assed solution.

7. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

I'll second synthetic. don't go 1/2 way, semi synthetic is an oxymoron. Also some new cars come w/ synthetic from the factory so you don;t have to wait long to change over...

I replaced the engine in my S-10 w/ a brand new crate engine @ 196269 miles and after two dino oil changes I switched to Mobil One. When I sold it 7 years later @ 308,000 you could pull the oil fill plug and take a flashlight & look at the overhead. It looked just the same as when I installed the new engine; clean and shiny. No sludge in the corners, no white moisture film sitting anywhere just new gray steel...I ran it 7,500 - 8,500 miles between changes...

I have a friend w/ a 40 mile, one way, commute. He does Amsoil and runs it 25K changing oil roughly once per year...

8. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

hey GatorFan----i agree with the others in not going semi-synthetic. Using Synthetic can't hurt, but no one really is sure if it improves performance/mileage, or makes the engine idle less, or if internal parts slide better----probably this thread is pretty much like opening up a can of worms---Oh Well, at least you care and are probably going to keep the GM for-ever and will also keep up on oil changes ( whatever you decide to use )(silverhobey in Canada )