Synthetic Gear Oil Info Request

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Goldie, Feb 15, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Goldie

Goldie New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

After searching and reading the info on the site about synthetic trans/gear oil it seems like it has possibilities for use in my trans and rear end. Because of the cost of swithing over I'd like the member opionions. My trans is a 5 speed manual. My driving is aproximarely 95% rural county roads up to 45 mph and 5% highway driving. It will cost me about $125 to swith over both the trans and rear end. What type of benefits can I expect? Does the cost justify the benefits?
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  2. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I think the cost is well worth it for the peace of mind and ensured longevity of the drivetrain components. Synthetic fluids don't break down as easily as non-synthetics.
  3. wpnsgy

wpnsgy New Member

longevity of your truck is a definite plus amsoil lower flow rates in cold weather could help improve your fuel mileage slightly, you might also have smoother shifting transmission
  4. Goldie

Thanks for the replies. I recently heard that my vehicle came from the factory with synthetics already in it. Any thoughts on this?
  5. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Its a possibility. Try googling it or even call a dealer and ask.
  6. detailjohn

detailjohn New Member 100 Posts

Product Description
    AMSOIL Severe Gear® Synthetic Extreme Pressure (EP) Gear Lube is a premium-grade gear oil specifically engineered for maximum performance in severe duty applications. This state-of-the-art AMSOIL formulation features an exclusive blend of high viscosity, shear stable synthetic base oils and an extra treatment of high-performance additives. AMSOIL Severe Gear Synthetic EP Gear Lube maintains its viscosity for long-lasting protection against metal-to-metal contact. The proprietary AMSOIL additives form an iron-sulfide barrier coating on gear surfaces, providing the ultimate line of defense against wear, pitting and scoring. AMSOIL Severe Gear helps prevent “thermal runaway” — a phenomenon caused by a lubricant’s inability to control friction and increased heat under high-stress conditions. By controlling thermal runaway, AMSOIL Severe Gear® Synthetic EP Gear Lube inhibits rapid lubricant degradation and component damage. Equipment runs better and lasts longer with AMSOIL Severe Gear Synthetic EP Gear Lube.

Performance
    AMSOIL Severe Gear provides performance beyond that possible with conventional gear oil. This AMSOIL custom product offers superior gear and bearing protection, better friction and heat reduction, increased efficiency and extended service life.

Temperature Extremes
    AMSOIL Severe Gear EP Gear Lube excels in hot and cold temperature extremes. By design, it resists breakdown from high heat, preventing acids and carbon/varnish formation. Its wax-free construction also improves cold-flow properties, improving fuel economy and cold weather shifting.

Applications
    AMSOIL Severe Gear Synthetic EP Gear Lube is excellent for severe applications, such as towing, hauling, steep-hill driving, commercial use, plowing, racing, off-road use, rapid acceleration, frequent stop-and-go operation and high ambient temperatures. Higher horsepower, towing and hauling capabilities of modern vehicles make turbo-diesel pick-ups, SUVs, vans and delivery/utility vehicles especially prone to severe service. Other severe-duty vehicles include light, medium and heavy-duty trucks, buses, heavy equipment, 4X4s, tow trucks, race cars, tractors, and motor homes.

• Superior Film Strength
    • Controls Thermal Runaway
    • Rust and Corrosion protection
    • Reduced Operating Temperatures
    • Improved Efficiency
    • Longer Oil, Seal, & Equipment Life
    For product service life in differentials, consult your owner’s manual or the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) to establish the application, NORMAL or SEVERE.
    Normal Service
    Severe Service
    Cars, SUVs, Light Trucks Drain at 100,000 miles of service or according to the owner’s manual, whichever is longer Drain at 50,000 miles of service or according to the owner’s manual, whichever is longer Heavy Duty Class 8 Line Haul Follow the OEM drain interval (miles or hours) for synthetic oil up to 250,000 miles or three years, whichever comes first. Otherwise, drain at twice the OEM interval for conventional oil. Vocational/Delivery Follow the OEM drain interval (miles or hours) for synthetic oil up to 120,000 miles or three years, whichever comes first. Otherwise, drain at twice the OEM interval for conventional oil. Heavy Duty Off-Road Follow the OEM drain interval (miles or hours) for synthetic oil up to 100,000 miles or two years, whichever comes first. Otherwise, drain at twice the OEM interval for conventional oil.
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Are you changing the fluid yourself, or hiring someone to do it?

What year/model truck? What is the fluid spec for the transmission?
  8. Blacksheep1

Blacksheep1 New Member 100 Posts

I will be doing mine in about a month.
  9. Goldie

I was going to have it done at the local GM Dealership for the sake of convenience. And I think it would be easier than rolling around in my drive way. My truck is an 07 GMC Sierra Classic 5 speed m/t. The synthetic oil is 75-90 GL4 according to the dealer.