1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Synthetic Motor Oil causes leaks?

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by billsf100, Feb 2, 2012.

1. billsf100

billsf100 New Member

I asked another auto parts store today about the ticking noise my 2002 Tahoe has at startup. He said I should switch to synthetic engine oil, that most often helps. One of his co-workers stopped me and said sometimes switching from conventional oil to synthetic caused engine oil leaks. Any thoughts on this?
  2. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The below link is from Chevron it is on Synthetic Motor Oil's......the Myths and/or the Truths Regarding Synthetic Motor Oil,

Reply/Myth Number #5 in this Link Talks about Engine Oil Leaks,
    http://www.texlube.com/oilmyths.htm
  4. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I can tell you fom personal experience that I have experience the excessive leaking from synthetic oil in the machinery that i have worked on the last 25 years. I have worked on elevators and in almost every instance of using a synthetic in place of conventioal oils, we have experienced excessive leaking. I do realise that elevator machinery probably doesnt have the same specs and tolerances of an engine but Im just stating what I know from my experience.
  5. grape2

grape2 Member

When I was a service manager for GMC dealer, GMC would pay for an oil change if the owner would switch to Mobil 1. It was highly recommended and pushed by GMC.
    That was for new and used trucks regardless of mileage. During those 4 years, there was never any problem switching. All they required was to maintain the same weight of oil. I had an 83 AMC EAGLE SX/4 with 64,000 miles when I switched it to synthetic oil without problems maintaining the 10W-30 that was called for.
  6. BillD64

BillD64 Rockstar

However, if you already had a leak the leak would become much worse if you switched from conventional to synthetic. The leak on my 86 Corvette went from a few drops every now and then to the point I had to put a pan under the car to protect the garage floor. However, synthetic offered lower engine oil temps and longer periods at wide open throttle when on the track so I lived with the mess.

Bill