1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Synthetic oil and MPG. Does it help

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by cmight1, Apr 20, 2011.

1. cmight1

cmight1 New Member

I all. I am thinking of switching to synthetic oil. I have been told this will increase my gas mileage. Anyone have advice? 07 Silverado 1500 classic 5.3L.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yes it will increase your milage. about .25mpg at most. really with todays oils there isnt much to be gained. However synthetics usually have a longer life, and cost less as a result.

3. Blacksheep1

Blacksheep1 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Are you planning on using it in the trans, etc?

4. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

From what I've heard, In order to see any significant increases in mileage, you have to use synthetic fluids for all of the fluids in your truck (engine oil, transmission, diff fluid etc...)

5. cmight1

cmight1 New Member

I was going to try it in the engine and trans.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

If you all have any other good info to inprove mileage I'll take it. I did put a K&N intake on. I got a increase of 1.5mpg. Every little bit helps these days.

6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Keep those tires inflated and the trucks front end aligned. As TELORVEHC said, you should change all the fluids, engine,trans and diff. I use Mobil 1 fluids in all our trucks.