Synthetic Oil in Chevy Express Van?

Discussion in 'Chevy Express Forum (GMC Savana)' started by Okole, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Okole

Okole New Member

I have just bought a nice 2000 Express LS passenger van with a 5.7L engine and a 4L60E transmission to use as a work van. I have a couple of questions:

Anyone run full synthetic engine oil in their Express?
    If yes which brand and why?
    Engine oil seems to have been changed every 3000 miles with Dino oil.

Also I notice a slightly rougher shift when my transmission is hot. Fluid looks nice and clean and does not smell burnt.
    Thinking Synthetic ATF might help? Royal Purple?
    Is synthetic AFT worth the $80 cost? or should I just replace the filter and refill with Dex/Merc?

Anyone fitted an AFT cooler to this transmission? Worth the cost? I do not tow but carry 800lbs of tools daily.

Thanks for all your help!

Nellie1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. jampg

jampg New Member

I was the original owner of the same model and year. I used the recommended 5W20 oil for it's entire life with changes every 4-5 thousand. Never burned one ounce of oil and ran great. I sold it last year with 130K miles. Great van.

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My dad switched to synthetic on his nnbs silverado, gained another mpg and much smoother shifts. I had an old sonoma with a 5spd and put synthetic it in it front to back engine and rear end and it made a world of difference, shifted soooo much better, and depending on your miles you may only have to change it once or twice year on synthetic, so its worth the investment in my opinion, does your express have a tranny cooler?

4. Okole

Okole New Member

Thanks guys for the info!

I think there is a cooler built into the radiator but I have heard of others adding a secondary stand alone cooler inline after the built-in one for additional cooling, mounted in front of the radiator.

My Express is in really good shape so I intend to keep her running sweet, so your info on good results using synthetic ATF is encouraging.

Any brand preference? Royal Purple is $16 a quart and Mobil 1 is $10 a quart locally. Can't find Amsol.