1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Synthetic Oil VS Conventional Oil

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by 1998SilveradoGuy92, Feb 8, 2010.

1. 1998SilveradoGuy92

1998SilveradoGuy92 New Member

Ive got a 98 chevy silverado with just over 100,000 miles on it and i just put AMSOil synthetic in it. I really like it so far and its been almost 10,000 miles. What are other peoples thoughts on synthetic oil?? Pros and Cons?

2. 95Chevyk1500

95Chevyk1500 Rockstar 100 Posts

i have heard good things about it. Just can never go back to conventional after you switch. i dont bother spendng the money

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  3. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That is false. all oils are compatible with each other. Most things people here like that are myths. If you want your vehicles to last and perform the best synthetics are the right choice.

4. 95Chevyk1500

95Chevyk1500 Rockstar 100 Posts

my truck had 265k and used conventional. WALMART SUPER TECH FOR ME HAHAHA!!!!

5. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would really like to see what the inside of that engine looked like.:gasp:

6. detailjohn

detailjohn Rockstar 100 Posts

I've ran AMSOIL for 10+ years, no complaints... I change oil @ 15-20k....

7. Chad01

Chad01 Member

Synthetics last longer than conventional... with conventional motor oil, you should oil and filter change at about 3k-5k depending on driving habbits but with synthetic, the oil will last into around 10k-12k because it will not break down as quickly. Although you should still change your filter at normall intervals. When you use the oil the way it should be used, synthetic ends up being cheaper... You change your oil because the molecules break down, not because it is dirty... If your filter is doing it's job...

8. scrappiedew1

scrappiedew1 Rockstar

i used ams oil in all my diff and trans cases the, con to ams oil are price and can u go 12 to 15k on 1 oil change?? , i change mine way to much to make it cost worthy for me now some higher milage cars wil use a little oil ,ams oil or standard if you notice that jjust switch back.

9. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

I use Royal Purple in my truck and Amsoil in my VW GTI. Both are great.

10. 1998SilveradoGuy92

1998SilveradoGuy92 New Member

Ive had no problems with mine amsoil whatsoever and i havent changed mine for over 10k now... Ive heard from some that amsoil needs to be changed like conventional but ive also heard that it can go up to 30k... Im sure that both may not be exactly true but somewhere in the middle should be perfect.