1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

synthetic oil

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by zippstripp, Apr 22, 2013.

1. zippstripp

zippstripp Member 1 Year

Has anyone had any experiance with Royal Purple Oil? Good,Bad or Indifferant?

2. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

That's all I run in my truck. I use their HPS version. I like it... it seems to stay cleaner longer with regards to carbon pollutants in the oil (I.e. when the oil starts to brown and get that smell). Of course this is just my observations... no scientific data.

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I used to get RP for free. So, I had it in everything. Lawn mover, snow blower, truck, wife's car. I never had an issue with it. I was told by an ams oil rep that between RP and mobile one that mobile one is better. He said that research shows that RP breaks down faster than mobile one. That being said, I don't know that someone that drives a truck would have to worry about the break down of the oil like someone who runs a racecar under extreme conditions would. I currently run Mobile 1. I can get it at Wally world for $21 for a 5+ quart jug.

4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I believe it is a superior product, but only my opinion; I am using it right now (I've only used it for two changes).

Unless you are using the truck under very extreme conditions, all oils meeting GM specs will meet your requirements.

I have used synthetic oil for many, many years, for two reasons, it will provide a little improvement in gas mileage and it does not thicken in cold temps, making it very good for winter starting.

Why did I go with RP? Easy, the guy who changes my oil switched, he buys it in bulk.

5. zippstripp

zippstripp Member 1 Year

Thank you all for your input. The truck will be pretty much just a driver. Just want it to last, too expensive not to take care of. Next question, what about synthetics ATF's?

6. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

yes! i looove RP!!
    i ust to think lucas and thick oil was the only way to go to get good results... and in old worn cast iron saginaw transmissions thats true. in high millage worn out engines thats true...

but in transmissions, transfer cases, and diffs, nothing is better for them than RP. you only change that oil ever 20,000 miles, min anyway... so might as well invest in something good

7. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I've never had any dealings with Royal Purple synthetic oil, but I do hear that people that use it are satisfied with it. I use Mobil 1 5W-30 with no issues as well.

8. zippstripp

zippstripp Member 1 Year

Love the feedback,gathering good info on a decision.

9. 87silver

87silver Member 1 Year

Of course, modern lubrication technology has made quantum leaps in regard to chemically bonding and variable viscosity. After 26 years of running dino oil in my Silverado, I wonder if things would have been any better if we had this stuff years ago. Or perhaps I didn't have to do so many oil changes... Maybe could have cut the interval in half.

10. GuyGene

GuyGene Member

I always use synthetic in all my engines, even lawn mower! Mobile 1 for me because of all the good things I've read about it, and it is easy to find.

P.S., stitch, love your truck! That diamond white is just what I want in new truck!