1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

synthetic oil

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by zippstripp, Apr 22, 2013.

1. marksoldtowne

marksoldtowne New Member

Synthetic oil is a lubricant consisting of chemical compounds.It is also synthesized from other raw materials. it provides mechanical and chemical properties which is found in traditional mineral oils. synthetic oils made engine starting in winter easier and decreased its deposits in oil radiators.synthetic motor oils mostly used in cold weather.It is also used as automotive synthetic motor oil.
  2. nonnieselman

nonnieselman New Member

I use Delo 400 15w40.
    Its cheap and we have diesels with over 10,000 hours on them still goin. Plus we get it in the 55gal drums :D
  3. Cowpie

Cowpie Member

Group IV synthetic oil base stocks are made from Natural Gas. Hence the uniform molecular structure. You can start out with a more uniform structure, as opposed to Group III synthetic base stocks that are mineral oils that are severely hydrocracked to remove non uniform molecules. You might say, the Group IV synthetic is handling the horse before it gets out of the barn while the Group III, the horse is being rounded up after it already got out. All commercial synthetics for engines are made from hydrocarbon sources, be it mineral oil or natural gas. While the purists in the group will waste time on which one is a true synthetic or not, they are both good products. Group IV edges out Group III a little, but primarily in lab settings. In the real world, it is a wash. The additive package is what makes or breaks an engine oil. You can have great base stocks and a lousy additive package. And the dirty little secret is... the additive package can make up between 40% and 50% of the total engine oil. True, there is more base oil than additive, but not much.

As a side note also for the purists who like to bicker over brands and who is a "true" synthetic.... all the fancy Group IV's on the market...Amsoil, RP, much of the Mobil 1 line, Schaeffer 9000, etc also have some Group III synthetic in them. Schaeffer is the only one I know of that has no problem telling folks that. All the rest seemed to want to keep that little tidbit under wraps. You need some Group III in a full synthetic to keep the additive package in suspension properly. Sorry to burst the bubble of the "true synthetic" crowd.

All of the major synthetics do a better job than most of us really need. Whether one gets the most bang for the buck in using them is their choice. I use a Delo 400LE 5w40 full synthetic in my Detroit Series 60 12.7L and take the oil changes 50% longer than the OEM recommended interval with nary a problem. Currently 23,000 mile oil change intervals. Oil sample results only show that the oil has only reached it's half life at that point, but it fits within my comfort level. I would have no problem taking any major brand of full synthetic to at least 10% life left on the OLM for our gasser engines.

Buy the brand you like, be happy, and drive on!

4. marksoldtowne

marksoldtowne New Member

Hi,GuyGene
    Synthetic oil is good for vehicles,it gives best performance in winter season.Synthetic oil
    is a lubricant consisting of chemical compounds that are artificially made.It can also be synthesized from other raw materials. Synthetic oil is used as a substitute for lubricant.Synthetic motor oils are man-made oils as-polyalphaolefin,
    Synthetic
    esters
    ,Hydrocracked/Hydroisomerized.
    Semi-synthetic oils (also called 'synthetic blends') are blends of mineral oil with no more than 30% synthetic oil designed to have many of the benefits of synthetic oil without matching the cost of pure synthetic oil.The advantages of synthetic motor oils include:-
    Measurably better low- and high-temperature viscosity performance.
    Better chemical & shear stability.
    3.Decreased evaporative loss.
    4.Improved fuel economy in certain engine configurations.
    5.Better lubrication during extreme cold weather starts.
    6.Longer engine life.
    7.Does not contain detergents..
  5. Cowpie

Cowpie Member

That's neat copy and paste work. Now, have you seen a oil sample result from a synthetic side by side as it compares to a conventional? I have seen dozens. I like synthetics. I use them in several applications, but I also know that it is not the gift to mankind that some advocates would claim. It has it's place, but may or may not be the ideal choice for everyone. Upwards of 40% of any engine oil coming out of a bottle,jug, or drum, conventional or synthetic, is additive package. Unless one knows what they are looking for and knows the nuances between conventionals and synthetics, they could not tell the difference in oil samples between the two.

What is interesting, is that before petroleum based oils were the norm, whale oil and other such things were the standard. Greases and Lubes that were made from this stuff is still technically classed as synthetics based on the methods of making the lubes from the whale oil. But I sure would not use the stuff in my engine. Lubes were "artificially made" from whale oil, just as PAO's are "artificially made" from ethylene gas.

And what are the chemcal compounds that Group IV PAO's made from? How about ethylene gas which is primarily sourced from natural gas. Not some nose picking dweeb giggling over some "chemical compounds" he concocted in a lab. This is no different than the fact that Group III synthetics are "made" from hydrocracked petroleum. There are very few Group V "ester" based synthetics being marketed for automotive use. I said few, not none, so don't confuse this.

Synthetic have some things over conventional oils, including cost. Depending on the applicaton and operating conditions, synthetics may or may not be cost effective. Nothing wrong with using them, but they may not be cost effective across the board, and many applicatons do not need synthetics. For most users, synthetics will do nothing more than give someone a good feeling that they are buying the "best".
  6. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Member ROTM Winner

I use to run Royal Purple in my truck but since switched to mobil1 high mileage due to it being cheaper. I could not tell the difference in the switch, probably due to both being great products. I personally run mobil1 in everything from engine, to transmission, to even my differentials.
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Wow Cowpie. I just learned a crap load about synthetic oil from you. Thanks
  8. Cowpie

Cowpie Member

Well, all that I stated does in no way discount synthetics. They are truly great products. It really comes down to what someone actually needs. If one is really doing serious extended drains, operating it wild extemes of cold or heat, or putting serious workloads on their engines and drivetrains, then they are most likely not going to see any appreciable benefit from synthetics. 20 years ago, this would not be true. But we have come a long, long way in oil quality. The gap between conventional, Group III synthetic, and Group IV synthetics is getting smaller and smaller. Surprisingly, it is the additive package that makes the killer difference. There is not anything wrong with using any of the top tier synthetics. Just use what your gut tells you to and you are comfortable paying for and know that virtually all the name brand oils will give excellent performance.

One area that has fantastic information regarding oils and lubes is www.bobistheoilguy.com You will find out more than you ever wanted to know about oils. And there are many petroleum professionals that frequent the site.

I guess I have gotten into this because I run commercial trucks and ag equipment along with my personal stuff. In doing so, I have run dozens and dozens of oil samples. It is critical to my business. Some of these, I would not use anything but synthetics. Others, I am comfortable using conventional oils. Each application is different.
  9. marksoldtowne

marksoldtowne New Member

Hi,
    Conventional lubricants are made from crude oil.It is extracted from the ground and then extensively refined to remove impurities.Conventional oils have a level of insolubles like paraffin,waxes,silicon,dirt and natural contaminants.Sometimes these substances can form deposits inside an engine.Synthetic oils are typically manmade,they are usually derived from natural gas.They don't thin,when they get hot and excessively thicken in cold weather.
  10. CKNSLS

CKNSLS Member

Mark, I am not sure today's high quality conventional oils have much contamination. However, the conventional wisdom over at bobistheoilguy.com is exactly what another poster has said above. You motor will not last appreciably longer if your driving under NORMAL CONDITIONS and use synthetic over conventional oil. I tow a trailer and my motor can rev pretty high under certain conditions (climbing hills, etc.) that is why I run synthetics. But if you don't work your truck hard, conventional oil is fine. Of course, there isn't a conventional oil Dexos certified, but there are plenty of syn blends that are.