Synthetic oil

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Silverado Junkie, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Ive been using 4 quarts of Castrol 5w-30 and one quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer every oil change since ive owned the truck. I was wondering if it would be worth it to switch to a synthetic oil? And if so, which kind and which viscocity? Thanks.

2. Gambit

Gambit Rockstar 100 Posts

How many miles are on your truck? Synthetic is a thinner oil if you have high mileage chances are you have worn piston rings and tiny grooves in the cylinder wall. If that is the case than Synthetic could actually start leaking by the piston rings and you wont be getting as much lubrication as you think. If you are over a 100,000 miles i wouldn't go changing to Synthetic now. If you want Synthetic go with a blend. the lucus oil stabilizer and dino oil is pretty good. I have always used that. But i am cheap and dont like to spend that kind of money excpet for my motorcycle.

3. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

ok thanks. i appreciate the advice. im stickn with what i got

4. scrappiedew1

scrappiedew1 Rockstar

gambit is right,

5. Chad01

Chad01 Member

Here is the thing, synthetic oil is not thinner. That is why there is a viscosity rating on the bottle. 5W-30= rating of "5" at 0F and "30" at 212F... this is the same for conventional and synthetic. The only difference between the two is that synthetic outlasts convetional. Meaning that with conventional, it has been recommended you change your oil and filter every 3k. With synthetic, you can use it for 10k-12k and the oil won't break down. Amsoil even says somewhere in the ballpark of 24k! You don't change your oil because it is dirty, that is why you change your filter. You change your oil because it breaks down over time. Even though the synthetic lasts longer, you should still change out the filter every 3k-5k... depending on how you use the engine...

Hope this helps...