Synthetic or Regular Brake Fluid?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by TRPLXL2, Mar 11, 2009.

1. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My dad has a 32 Ford that he bought last year, and the car came up from Florida from an auction we bought it from. There was no paper work for it at all, and what we were wondering was is there a way to tell what kind of brake fluid is in the car right now? He just doesn't want to take the chance of adding a different kind to top it off, and end up with the Dual Master Cylinder getting messed up. A guy at the Goodguy's show last year from Wilwood told us that if you mix synthetic with regular brake fluid, it could cause a chemical reaction and cause the brake fluid to thicken/gel up in the lines and possibly eat the rubber gaskets and o-rings. If anyone has any little tricks to find out if it's synthetic or regular brake fluid please help, thanks in advance for any tips.............AMYhttp://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2170&stc=1&d=1236796656

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Why not remove all the fluid from the master and fill it up with synthetic fluid and bleed the brakes? Now you won't have too worry about what fluid is in there.

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Synthetic or regular brake fluid

I agree with JIMMIEE. Thats what I did on my Silverado, removed old fluid and filled with Synthetic than blead lines. That was two years ago and it still stops!:great:

4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

LOL, it still stops!!

Another thing to keep in mind is brakefluid absorbs moisture. More so living on the coast as opposed to living in the desert. I change my brake fluid every year on all my cars.

5. gimme_a_350

gimme_a_350 Member

i'm going to have to agree with the masses here and go the extra distance and drain the current fluid, replacing with synthetic. oh yeah, and while you're at it, don't drink brake fluid, it will dry out your mouth. and probably kill you.

6. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i disagree with the others. i do not think it to be a good idea to just drain the fluid. you said if it were to mix, it would cause a reaction. you dont know how much it will take to cause that reaction. it could take alot, it might not take more that the residue left from the drain out. in my opinion, its a bad idea. i suggest researching for a chemist lab or somewhere you can take a sample for an analysis. this is THE most accurate way of telling

7. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yes you need to drain the brake system and start fresh. This is always the best way due to all brake fluids start to take on water over time. Use a high quality synthetic break fluid.

8. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Preferred Customers Save Up To 25% Across The Board On ALL Amsoil Products.

Here I just posted a break service Power Point presentation. Check it out here

9. drumrob

drumrob Rockstar 100 Posts

I would just carry an anchor in the back just in case the brake do fail!!! which I wish that will never happen but you cant ever be too safe!!:happy:

10. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I will go to the dealer to see what they charge for that, if I would take a sample into them to have it sent out. My Lumina that I have had to have a gas analysis done a few years back, and the dealer sent that out to some kind of lab but they didn't charge me because I had the work done there. I will post how much it will cost once I find out, thanks for the tip! :happy: