1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Synthetics being the right products for our engines.

Discussion in '1st Synthetics' started by 1st Synthetics, Jul 19, 2009.

1. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have had a lot of conversations and arguments about synthetics being the right product for our engines. I want to answer any questions you may have. We all buy or think of buying expensive parts to soup our trucks up for performance, why not buy the best oil to protect those expensive parts? Why on earth would we cut corners (costs) where it matters most, the oil is the life blood of our engines. I hear a lot of well wally world has oil and a filter for 16 bucks. All this tells me is it does not matter what protection it has it's being bought on cost alone.

Next would be filtration.Why not put the best filtration on an engine think of it as an insurance policy. The better you filter the oil, the longer the life of that oil is and the less wear the engine will have. We can filter down to 2 microns absolute. Our OEM replacement filters are down to 15 microns absolute with no by-pass filter.

Scott
  2. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

So I want to know why Jiffy Lube will tell me synthetic oil change intervals are good for say 6000 miles over the 3000 conventional but still put a 3000 mile "change your oil" reminder sticker on my window. If synthetic trully is the best way to go why don't the retailers stand by the proclamation?

What is your recomendation when the manufacture recommends the use of convntional oil in the owners manual? I ask this question because I have a newer truck and GM recommends conventional oil over synthetic.

One last question,

If your oil filters can filter down to 2 microns is there any added stress on the oil circulation system as obviously the oil itself is now passing through a more restrictive filter than the original design specs?

Thanks in advance for the response.
  3. 1st Synthetics

I would have to say that the quick lube puts the 3000 mile sticker in your window because that want you to come back sooner. All the quick lubes that I personally supply AMSOIL to I give them AMSOIL window clings to use. A reputable retailer should stand behind what they are selling.

I myself have never seen the manufacture recommend using only conventional oil. The manufacture only recommends the oil from the company's they work with (get paid from, don't think that Mobil 1 stamp on the oil cap is free of charge) Gm ships a lot of their cars and trucks with full synthetics in them. My truck came with a synthetic in it. Conventional oil is 19th century technology why on earth would anyone recommend it for a 21st century engine, I don't know.

The by-pass filter is what filters down to 2 microns. and no there is no extra stress on the oil. AMSOIL Ea By-Pass Filters operate by filtering oil on a “partial-flow” basis. They draw approximately 10 percent of the oil pump’s capacity at any one time and trap the extremely small, wear-causing contaminants that full-flow filters can’t remove. The AMSOIL Ea By-Pass Filter typically filters all the oil in the system several times an hour, so the engine continuously receives analytically clean oil. AMSOIL EaBP Filters have an efficiency of 98.7 percent at two microns. At normal operating RPMs the EaBP Filter will filter all of the oil in a typical five quart sump in less than 10 minutes.

I hope this answered you questions.

Scott
  4. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sounds like you are well prepared and you do know what you are talking about. MAybe I'll go with your AMSOIL at my next oil chane.
    Thanks for the advice!
  5. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I used to work at a Jiffy Lube. The reason differs from place to place, but I know that at my store, we would make the extended mileage stickers only if the customer asked for it, and if they were nice. Its was a pain in the arse to do it because the sticker printer system ran through the main computer system.

Now at a Speedee Oil change that I worked at while away in college we would make the extended mileage stickers if a customer asked, no matter what. That was because the sticker printer was a all in one deal and you just manually typed in the mileage.

But like I said, it just matters from place to place, but it never hurts to ask for them to do it.
  6. 1st Synthetics

I'd be more than happy to help you out with your order. Just let me know.
  7. pontiacGTP123

pontiacGTP123 Rockstar 100 Posts

ive always used castrol syntec in my vehicles.
  8. Offshore24

Offshore24 New Member

I've used Amsoil products in my cars, trucks and snowmobiles. Never had a problem or worry about their quality. One reason I used them was there was a friend here at work that was a supplier. Now he's retired and I've switched to easily available supplies of oil and other products. For the most part I ignore the OEM maintenance schedule for oil changes. I've sent oil samples to labs for testing and found the synthetics to be good to well over 6,000 miles. The last sample of Amsoil I sent out was good to go with 10,000 miles on it!. I don't use oil filters with that many miles on them. I like to change the filters at 5,000 and run the oil to 10,000. FWIW, that's what i do. I've never had an engine failure and i drive my vehicles into the ground (rust).