1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

System Build Log ~ Sound System

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by mudpuppy, Jun 5, 2011.

1. mudpuppy

mudpuppy Rockstar 100 Posts

here the beginning of large sound system project

in the coming days there will be about 10 more pics

btw, this board, amps, and wires alone came in at 117lbs

Attached Files:

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I hope you are going to clean up those wires.. I can see a Ton of engine noise coming from that. What Alt are you useing? Do you have everything Fused right?
  3. mudpuppy

already performed a test run and no engine noise at all. thats the reason for using a relay switch for the activation. if i run the activation straight from the head unit to the amps then yes i would get noise. the current alt is a 140amp with a 40%od pulley. and no the od pulley is not for extra power. it doesnt work that way. the od pulley is for max charge from the alternator at idle. in the near by future the sound system will have its own 16v 250amp alt. the only thing from the truck that will connect with the sound system will be the rca wires. and as for fuses, hells no i didnt fuse anything in this truck. i use circuit breakers only. between the front hook ups and aft batteries i have 4 150amp circuit breakers. in addition even though i smoke, the no smoking signs went up since i intend to install a flame sensor hooked up to a CO2 system. http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/advcat.asp?CategoryID=FIRESYSTEMS it should only be about 2-3 weeks for the new alt and supplies that i need to fabricate a bracket to mount it. still working on the front door speakers atm. the location that i want to mount then ended up not deep enough for the speakers so i had to fab some mounting baskets for the front door speakers. the mid section 6.5 components are in and the back 5 1/4 components will be a fast install. then comes the joy of running all of the speaker wires. yyaaaaaahhhhh. i would most likely have more fun attempting to dig my eye out with a base ball.
  4. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Those 3 12's must be awesome in that box, how many watts are you running for all 3? Looking forward to the rest of the build:great:
  5. mudpuppy

the last amp pushing them was a jbl 1200.1. i did the voltage check and used the watt formula to see what the true watts came to. at 3.1 ohms it came to 1482. the planet audio amp is close to about 20% stronger. ill test the planet audio amp after its all installed for an exact watt reading. and yes, even with the lesser of my 2 mono blocks it was nuts. its going to be retarded once i have 6 subs in there.
  6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

What model are those JL Audio subs? They look like 12W3s.
  7. Enkeiavalanche

At what Volts are they making that power?
  8. mudpuppy

thats with the engine running so roughly around 12.5 to 13vdc

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

nope, they are 12w1v2 8ohm each.

the w3's have a solid black cone with a w3 emblem on the bottom much like the w7's

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  9. Enkeiavalanche

And the W3's handle 400-500 RMS while the W1's are only about 150-200 ea...
  10. mudpuppy