T-case issues

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by rileyjr16, Jun 22, 2012.

1. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Ok today's that kind of day that anything that is wrong with anything, it seems to be my stuff. A while ago, I had my rear end on jackstands and installed a pair of 1/2 spacers for the rear wheels and decided to put it in drive to see if I have the parking brake issue still. Well a new issue came up, this time in the transfer case.

Its a New Process Gear 246GM; 272 gear ratio and it makes kind of a slapping metal to metal noise. It does it mostly in drive and is barely heard in reverse. The u-joints are new and the boot is not torn that I can see.

Are these transfer cases gear driven or chain driven?

*Oh its push button and as far as I know, Service 4WD is not on in the DIC

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

is it a constant noise or just occasional? My truck makes the same kinda noise at times. I think that it is the bushing for the slip yoke in the tail shaft of the transfercase. If i push up on it I can duplicate the noise

3. rileyjr16

Its a constant noise. Did listen to some youtube vids and the noise doesn't sound like the chain slap but who knows.

4. rileyjr16

5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

It is chain driven.
    [​IMG]

6. rileyjr16

Thanks Alox. I'm almost at my wits end with this truck but eveything in my body says keep her. Might just buy a used t-case for $350 and have a family memeber who is an expert in gears and whatnot do a partial rebuild of the used one. Alot of electrical and mechanical needs to be fixed.

How much do you guys think a partial rebuild would cost?