1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tachometer and other gauges not accurate

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by aboston, Jan 7, 2011.

1. aboston

aboston Member

So I have a few bulbs burned out on my cluster and thought that I could replace them myself. I soon found out that the bulbs are soldered in and decided that I can live with it for now. However, I took the needles off to get to the bulbs, and thought I got the needles back to their original positions. The tach is now way off (highway speeds it sits a 0 RPM), the voltage looks to be registering too high, and the speedo seems to be accurate, but when the truck is not moving, it seems to rest at about 4 mph, and I don't remember it doing that before. Any suggestions on how I can "calibrate" my gauges without taking it to the dealership and getting violated? Not really a big deal, but mor annoying because everything was working perfectly and then I had to "fix" it and did the exact opposite!!:grrrrrr:
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

I can't tell you how to fix your guages but I remember seeing a thread on here about "how to guages" & it told the proper steps to do, or not do for guage work. It may go through steps that you can do or undo in order to realign your guages.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  3. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

That's the one TELORVEHC. It has the procedure for turning the needles till they stop, popping the needles & then the proced for puting them back on. I think if the op starts where he's at now & follows the disassembly & reassembly his should be right. Thanks for finding that. :great:

And a big thumbs up to 99Heartbeat (Mike) for making that write up on how to fix them..
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011