1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tahoe eating bulbs.

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by Conlan Rose, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

My 96' keep killing passenger side turn signal bulbs. This morning while uncovering my car from the snow fall I noticed the bulb was out again. I double checked by putting on the turn signal and emergency lights still no dice. The bulb is a type 194 Sylvania Silverstar in a factory harness. The harness is beat up but still works. The bulb was installed in late september and this was the first time I noticed it was out. The rated life is about 200 hours and even tho I drive with my lights on no matter what, there is no way it has been on long enough to kill it.

Any ideas why it keeps going out? This is not the first time it has happened the light prior to this went out a couple months after I bought the truck. Its a $5.00 light and now its dead again... Really annoying.

Before and after cleaning off snow.
    2012-11-08_07-49-51_229.jpg 2012-11-08_08-05-51_502.jpg

Pics from installing new bulbs, these are from the license plate bulbs, but they all were in same condition and didn't look like the right size bulbs.
    2012-09-26_12-07-40_8.jpg 2012-09-26_11-49-40_920.jpg
    Notice how beat up the harness is some of the bulbs were melted to it.

2012-09-26_11-49-51_403.jpg 2012-09-26_11-50-01_196.jpg 2012-09-26_11-50-17_208.jpg
    This light didn't come out very easily.
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Go get a new harness at pepboys or any good auto parts store.. That one looks a bit bad...
  3. Conlan Rose

Ok I'll replace both the turn signal harnesses and the license ones. Just need to price them out.

- - - Updated - - -

Well the snow took out one of my driving lights :/ damn snow banks. Will also need another one of those off to harbor freight!

- - - Updated - - -

Yup the harnesses are 4.99 each from Autozone not that bad.:glasses: I am sad that I need to spend another 10.99 on another set of driving lights cause I lost one tonight:grrrrrr:, but will have an extra if I lose it again at least they are cheap.:smile: Will be trying to find a way to protect the lights now like mesh or something.:glasses:

Yah I don't know why I used so many smilies. Btw [MENTION=34858]Enkeiavalanche[/MENTION] is it you who has knows someone from Sylvania? Because I want to buy a whole bunch of bulbs in bulk and doing that at a local store will cost a fortune. The bulbs I want are 194 silverstar, 168 silverstar, 3057 silverstar, 3156 silverstar, and 74 reg, 161 reg, and 211-2 reg, unless they make silverstar of any of those. Those are all the standard bulbs for the truck minus park lamps, under hood lamp, and head lights. I'm talking like buying 5-10 sets of each so I never need to worry. There's like 15 194 bulbs on the truck its insane how many bulbs are on this truck and it gets expensive fast.
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Auto bulbs are no different that home bulbs, some burn out faster than others. You can usually trace it to a poor/bad connection in the socket. The poor connection (resistance) produces an area that gets hot as current flows through the bulb. When it gets hot enough, it will melt the internal connections of the bulb (if it's a fuse socket, the heat will melt the fuse element). Keeping the sockets dry and using a little dielectric grease will lengthen the life of the bulbs. As [MENTION=34858]Enkeiavalanche[/MENTION] suggested, a new harness will solve the problem.
  5. Conlan Rose

Funny thing is I used the dielectric grease this time. I found the new harnesses the ones for the turn signals are only 3.99 each from Autozone, but the license plate lamp harness is really hard to find. I found one at LMC.com for about $20 then theres 7.99 shipping and handling. Ones on amazon are even more expensive and are only the socket not the whole harness.
  6. Enkeiavalanche

I'll see what I can do..... :glasses:
  7. Conlan Rose

Thanks man your the best :glasses:
  8. Enkeiavalanche

I've heard that before........:happy:

I'll let ya know...
  9. Conlan Rose

Hey its not like I'm asking for free ones :sign0020:.
  10. Enkeiavalanche

Just got this I will Pm you his Email address.. Thanks Glenn

I didn’t actually make it to the SEMA side, I had meetings everyday on the AAPEX side. As for the product, I don’t have a way to sell small volumes to a consumer. I do believe the harness is creating some of the issue. Heat should not be building up like that in the turn area to melt the bulb to the plastic. If you can have this person send me their information, I will see what I can do from what I have here at the office.