1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

tahoe issues ~ 1996 5.7L

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ws6tony, Apr 15, 2011.

1. ws6tony

ws6tony New Member

hey guys, pretty new to the site, looking for some advice. I just bought a 96 tahoe with the 5.7. Going to take it for a cruise to get some parts, and it won't go above 35-40 mph. Engine races when I hit that point. I know it has a random misfire code, 0300. Any ideas, am I looking at a new tranny? A friend told me about possibly replacing a shift solenoid. This is my first truck, so not really sure what I'm looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. As caddiac said get it scanned. Try to find a scanner that also scans the transmission.
  3. ws6tony

ws6tony New Member

I unfortunately am the only person I know with a scanner, and it seems to not to tranny codes. but I know its a cylinder 2 misfire, and I'm giving it a tuneup on tuesday. Found out I am able to drive normally in second if that helps any
  4. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

sounds like a tranny problem to me !
  5. ws6tony

ws6tony New Member

it has 281000 on the truck, at this point I'm assuming it has never been rebuilt. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but I've never done transmission work. Is it something I should have a shop do, or something I can do at home?