1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Audio Tahoe speakers.

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Conlan Rose, Aug 19, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I was wondering if is possible to replace my factory rear speaker with dual 4 inch speakers. Will my system handle it with minimal modification? Is it worth the effort? Will it work?

2. Conlan Rose

My factory speakers are 4x10 so in theory two 4 inch speakers should fit but I was just wondering if the stock amp can handle the extra speakers.

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Save your time and money. You will never hear the Tunes from those roof speakers. If you do something later do a 6 1/2 in there and new rear door speakers and put a amp up to them. Making a plate for a 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 for the roof is easy to do and they will sound a TON better then the old 4x10's...

4. Conlan Rose

Currently the 4x10's are dead not getting anything but occasional static from them. I was mainly wondering if the there were any good 4 inch speakers out there that would easily drop it. But if not I'll save up for some 5 1/2's.

5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Save for the 5 1/4's Make a Plywood cutout when you can so you are ready.... Simple to do..

6. Conlan Rose

Ok will do then, just wondering do you have any drawings on how to make it or ideas just so I have a plan. Also will this require me replacing my stock amp or could it handle two decent quality speakers and what brand do you suggest is best for the money. Like lowest price but good quality out there.

7. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Indeed. Replace the 4x10s with 5-1/4 components. It's easy to make an adapter out of 1/4" or 3/8" MDF, which should be sturdy enough given the small size. This is a common thing to do on the Pontiac Fiero as well, to upgrade the dash speakers, as 4x10s are fading out of existence.

8. Conlan Rose

Mine did alittle more than fade they died. But that's unimportant so to fit then in it should be easy? In theory?

9. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

speaker_plate.jpg

This is how the Fiero mounting plate is designed, for adapting the 5-1/4 components. Not sure if the mounting in your Tahoe is the same, but it should be clsoe. And you should be able to run some aftermarket speakers off the factory amp just fine. They probably won't sound as good as they could, but you shouldn't have any issues. They'll almost certainly be underpowered, but will still sound better than factory and definitely better than 4x10s would (since the components will be round).

And if you're looking for some lower cost, but good, components, go with these Polk db5251 components. I've used Polk speakers in several cars, and am getting ready to install some in my new truck. They are great speakers, and not terrible on the wallet.

10. Conlan Rose