1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tahoe v. Expy ? [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by brownbomb, Nov 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brownbomb

brownbomb Rockstar

My wife use to have an '00 Expy. She's wanting to get an SUV again after a brief stint with the dreaded mini-van. Any thoughts on which is best between the Tahoe/Expy.
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

lol, she's not into the mini-van huh?

What year Tahoe are you looking at getting into? The Ford Expedition isn't a bad vehicle, it just comes with some typical Ford shortcomings, like an under-supported front-end, lack of leg-room for it's size (a biggie for me) etc. Personally I'd go with the Tahoe.
  3. sidedrifter

sidedrifter New Member

My wife is driving a very nice 98 Expedition the only part that bugs me is the fuel milage its terrible. My 99 Suburban gets much better MPG. So we are selling it.[​IMG]
  4. ChevyFan

Yeah, that's abother biggie. The newer Fords (and all vehicles) get better mileage.
  5. brownbomb

brownbomb Rockstar

I'll be looking for a '99 - '02, in that range. I know the Expy is a pretty good SUV and I like the look of the 4wd we use to have. Mileage isn't a big concern. Mostly want info on where the Tahoe outperforms or has better features than the Expy since I've never driven or owned a Tahoe.

Thanks,
    Roger
  6. ChevyFan

The Tahoe was designed to fill in that middle ground between the old Blazer and the Suburban. So it went, Blazer (Now Trailblazer), Tahoe, Suburban. Ford got an earlier start on this notion. Explorer, Expedition, Excursion (now dead).

Size is the most obvious difference between the Expedition and Tahoe. The Expedition sits higher and is slightly longer. Therefore, getting into the Expedition is more difficult for passengers, etc.

Room inside generally speaking is about the same, I found that I (as the driver) had more leg-room in the Tahoe, but the numbers are probably pretty close all around.

The Tahoe is powered by a 255-horsepower, Vortec 5700 V-8 engine (standard) that makes lots of low-end torque. The Ford runs a 5.4-liter overhead cam V-8 (optional) that gets 230 HP at a lower RMP, so you end up with less torque, and in a big vehicle, it makes the vehicle feel sluggish, so you hit the gas more, this results in lower practical fuel economy.

Once on the road, the Tahoe is by far (IMHO) the best driving vehicle. Chevy has an on-center dead spot in the steering that makes for effortless steering for highway travel. The steering setup in the Expedition is great around town, but on a freeway, just a slight movement translates into a slight change of vehicle direction, not great when towing or going 75 MPH.

I have heard that the Expedition does pretty well off-road, maybe better than the Tahoe. I've never taken one offroad, so I don't know.
  7. brownbomb

brownbomb Rockstar

Thanks for the info. That Expy out in OR looks nice.

Roger
  8. BarneyIsDead

BarneyIsDead New Member

Both vehicles have their merits. I think the Tahoe has more power, even though they "say" you can tow more with the heavier Expy, it's easier to move a trailer up and down mountains with the Tahoe.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.