Tahoe wont start!

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Conlan Rose, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

my 1996 Tahoe wont start when i turn the key i hear a clicking noise as i do turn the key and i see a small drain from the voltmeter. this has happened once before and that time i put it in neutral and it started right up i tryed to do the same again but no luck. the truck also has been hard starting for the past month instead of its normal instant start up and rev. any one have any idea on what might be wrong

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. How old is the battery and will it jump start?

3. Conlan Rose

the battery is brand new and last time we had the problem it didnt i seem that theres power going to the starter but it might not be engaging cuz all the other lights are on well trying to start but slightly dim

4. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Sounds like solenoid on the starter. Some of the wires will not have power at starter .. the main from battery will but others no till starting.
    On the long crank time.. check fuel filter first . then do a pressure check on fuel .
    Will have a scharder valve on fuel line to check at .. should get at least 58 psi and hold this .Some auto parts has loner gauges. But only cost 20 some bucks .
    Check just turning key to on.

5. Conlan Rose

thanks ill try that ill post how it goes

6. Conlan Rose

ok so it seems that it was the battery when i bought the truck the owner of it put in a new battery turns out that battery isnt rated for the truck in cold weather and doesnt have the capacity for the truck so after charging battery it started up and i went out and got a new battery rated for the truck and then some