Tahoe/Yukon Like Suburban?

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by ForkEvolution, Nov 25, 2008.

1. ForkEvolution

ForkEvolution New Member

Hey everyone,

"Im new to the fourms so first of all I hope I can meet all of you. Im 16, and I'm most likely going to be lucky enough to get a car within the next two years. My question here is, should I get the Suburban? Now I know this depends on the circumstances, so Ill explain. Ive always liked the Suburban. I've always liked its look, my friend had it and I loved riding in it, and in my favoruite show the Sopranos, Tony Soprano drove one for the first couple of seasons. When I get my first vehicle, I know I want an SUV for sure. It would be mostly used for short drives I guess as I'll be going to University when I get it, so not a crazy amount of mileage for the first few years, or for most of the year excluding the summer at least. At the same time I want it to be able to hande winter well, rough weather, and just times when I need it. I know the gas mileage is its strong con, so thats really the only reason why Im asking, if its worth it for the mileage or not. My other idea right now for my first vehicle is a Nissan X-Terra, just for the interest of anyone.

As for the Suburban, I would definently be acquiring a used model, although im not exactly sure how old I would have to buy it, as this is up to those that would most likely be paying, my parents :lol:

Anyways, any specific advice on whether I should think of purchasing one or not, and things like if I do what year/model etc etc. Any help at all is great."

Thats my situation. I received some comments saying that the Tahoe or Yukon would be better suited to my needs. Based upon my needs as described above, can you guys give your judgment?

Thanks alot for your time, and thanks in advance for helping me out.

2. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I drove a 95 suburban for a while, the 42 gallon gas tank gets old after a while. If you got one from 96-99 you could get it pretty cheap. You probably won't see much better mileage out of a yukon or tahoe, they're all about the same. I can't stand xterra's they have too much plastic. I got like 14 mpg's in my 95 for the record.

3. Scott77

Scott77 Member

Nissan XTerra gets better mileage for sure, I love mine. But my Tahoe Has a better ride, more like a truck should feel, definitely more space for people and cargo (even more in the burban of course). Also the V8 is there when you need it, more aftermarket support too if that's something you look for. Finally Xterra's gonna cost you more up front new or used... just plain better deals on the big gas guzzlers. Late 90's early 2000 Tahoes and Burbans are dime a dozen in my area for under $3000 in really decent condition, got my 97 for $2000.

4. csmac2004

csmac2004 Member

I would echo the thought that a Yukon/Tahoe would be better suited. If you're looking the early 2000's, you can get the third row seating option and have the same amount of people space as the Suburban (although obviously compromising STUFF space). However, that shorter wheelbase makes a HUGE difference in driving it around town. Parking my Yukon is so simple its scary. The turning radius is AWESOME (U-Turns made with ease on two lane side roads). Gas mileage, I would agree, will not be much different between the SUV's. So, basically, depending on what your needs are exactly, I would definitely recommend the shorter SUV's for getting in/out of that movie parking spot easier... :)

5. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

plain and simple, i hate nissans, owned one for a year or two and will never EVER have another!
    biggest POS..... whatever. but on the flip side, i've heard that you can get more power out of a nissan motor than any other one on the road. but you cant beat the reliability of a chevy. gotta love em

6. ForkEvolution

ForkEvolution New Member

Ok, now if I were to get a Yukon/Tahoe hypothetically speaking, my parents will pay for half of whatever car I choose to purchase. Would it be better to buy an older model 1999-2000 ish for a lower price giving more for gas, upgrades, but also increasing chances of problems because of greater mileage probably, or get a newer model, like 2001-2004? This would be helpful to know

7. cascott325

well, it really depends, inthe economic time we are in now, newer vihicles arent going like they were a few years ago, so you can compensate for that and go for the lower mileage. also, the years that you specified all have an enormous amount of aftermarket products, so i think you will be fine on that matter.

8. ForkEvolution

ForkEvolution New Member

How about an even older model from like the 95 to the 99? Are these models still worth buying? Are they alot different than the newer ones in terms of performance, ride, comfort, etc. Any kind of info on this would be greatly appreciated.

9. cascott325

well yea. obviously due to changes in all technologies, everything will be changed somehow inside and out. new developments in shocks, fabrics, metal alloys, rubber, carbons, oils and gasses, the ability to burn less fuel and get more power, every year offers something new things.

10. csmac2004

csmac2004 Member

I would say for resale, newer is better, but in terms of reliability and spending less on fixing, etc., I'm not sure you would save that much between an '04 and a '99 or earlier, depending on mileage of course. The '99 and earlier years were VERY solid trucks with excellent reliability. The newer ones (speaking from experience here!!!) are not so much. Still good trucks, but I think they cut a few too many corners and those of us picking up the used models are now paying the price. However, like Chris stated, the newer ones obviously do have newer, more advanced technologies. Again, as I recommended before, I would shy away from the truck with too many options (such as air ride, power everything, etc.) as those items are the first to fail and cause you too much grief. My '99 Cavalier runs 100% with no issues and costs me nothing but fuel. However, my '03 Yukon is constantly soaking up my hard earned cash in dang "luxury" items that I probably didn't need in the first place!!! :)