GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Tahoe/Yukon recommendation

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by L5wolvesf, Jan 20, 2012.

1. L5wolvesf

L5wolvesf New Member

Hi all,

I’m looking for recommendations on which year(s) Tahoe/Yukon are “best”. I have been using my friend’s ’99 Suburban to tow our race cars. He is returning to the US and I will need to replace it. The Suburban has been really good but has a couple drawbacks. MPG, his is a 454 and the 3/4T ‘burb is way heavy. It’s brakes also feel soft to me. So I’m looking at Tahoe/Yukon’s to lessen the load and I’ll go with a 350. I will still need the 3/4T for the weight carrying capacity. I can live with slightly less rear interior space.

One other thing I want to avoid is the fuel gauge/sender/pump issues. We did the pump on the ’99 and within about a 9 month period did 3 others. The biggest PITA was that all died with at least a half tank of fuel in them.

I also want one I can put a performance programmer in. The ’99 Burb did not have any programmers available from what I found.

So basically the preferred specs are:
    - Tahoe or Yukon (differences are minimal far as I know).
    - 3/4ton, 350 cid engine
    - Starting year(s) must be;
    At or beyond where the fuel gauge/sender/pump issues were resolved.
    Where performance programmers are available.
    - Not too new as to be outside of my “budget”.
    - “meat-wagon” rear doors,

Thank you,
    L
  2. Boonduff

Boonduff New Member

The Tahoe/Yukon was and still is only available as a 1/2 ton. The Suburban is the only choice if you want a 3/4 ton, and not every one is plagued with the fuel pump/gauge/sender issue. I've never had a problem with my 97 with 183,000 miles.
  3. L5wolvesf

L5wolvesf New Member

Oh, I though I had seen 2000 and newer Tahoe/Yukons on CL as 3/4t. Can Tahoe/Yukon tow as well as Suburbans?

Was the fuel pump etc. problem limited to just '99?

Thank you for the reply,
    L