1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

tail lights and dashboard wont light up

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by treykelly84, Feb 21, 2010.

1. treykelly84

treykelly84 New Member

I drive a 96 1500 4x4 i was pulling my boat today and turned my head lights on. the dash board lit up for about a split second then went dark, my headlights stay on constantly so they still work and also my brake and turn signal work. but my front yellow running lights,tail lights, and dash board back lights wont light up. i checked all the fuses under the hood none are blown and i cant even find a fuse labeled running lights or instrument panel. is there another fuse box located somewhere else?
  2. Uncle Ed

Uncle Ed New Member

Sounds like you have a short in the trailer harness that took out that circuit. It should be fused. Open the drivers side door and check on the side of the dash between the dash and drivers door for a removable cover. There should be another fuse panel behind it. I thinks it's fuse #9 - 20 amp
  3. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 New Member 1000 Posts

Actually had the same issue with my 1994 Silverado.

Turns out it was the Headlamp switch. It contols the dash lights and tail lights.

The twenty dollar switch is an easy fix.
  4. treykelly84

treykelly84 New Member

thanks i never even looked on the side of the dash between the door jam im used to the circuit box being somewhere under the steering wheel so thats where i looked. i completely looked over that location that was a quick fix
  5. Uncle Ed

Uncle Ed New Member

Glad it was nice and simple.

Beef jerky donations gladly accepted :biggrin:
  6. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member 1000 Posts

It's the headlight switch most likely. The dimmer mechanism has finally worn out. Replace it, and it should be working. And if it isn't, at least it was inexpensive.
  7. twospun

twospun New Member

i have the same problem now i checked all my wiring but it just keeps blowing that 20 amp fuse even with everything off would it be the switch
    ?
  8. Uncle Ed

Uncle Ed New Member

I would say it's unlikely the switch but it's easy enough to find out. Disconnect the switch and toss in a new fuse.

Switches and relays typically have B+ (positive) legs only and a bad one would either not work or make the lights stay on all the time.

If the fuse pops with the switch disconnected then there is a short to ground between the switch or relay and the fuse. If you have had an aftermarket alarm installed or any other mods under the dash then a wire could have been abraded or something messed with by a sloppy installer.

Gimme some more truck info and maybe I can help more.