1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Tail Lights black out!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by TexasTechRaider, Nov 4, 2011.

1. TexasTechRaider

TexasTechRaider Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Today I blacked out my tail lights, hope you guys like!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  2. SILVERADO3

SILVERADO3 New Member

Looks Great, How did you do it?

3. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

yeah, looks great ...how did you do it.....where did you get the parts / supplies ???...thanks

4. Blackout07

Blackout07 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I like it.

5. TexasTechRaider

TexasTechRaider Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I used black transparent paint, applied it with a spray gun.. after about 4-5 coats when you get close to the tint you want add a clear coat into into the paint and put on a few coats. It mostly dried in 30-45 minutes, i screwed it on then the next day i completely pushed it on completely. Remember to use thin tape to circle off in detail what you don't what, then painters tape to completely finish it off.

If you need a better explanation just let me know because I kind of jumped all over the place.

6. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

A little too dark for my taste but looks good nonetheless :glasses:

7. stumpaction

stumpaction Rockstar

it looks good. can you get that look with regular spray paint? im a pretty good painter and i would like to do mine in camo or want to get a smoked look for both tail and head lights.

8. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That looks good. I want to tint my tail lights a bit, but it will have to wait until I can afford to buy a second set of used lights to do it on - just in case.

To stumpaction - regular spray paint probably wouldn't work well for tinting lights. Some people have tinted them by mixing regular black automotive paint with a bit of clearcoat to make it transparent but straight up spray paint would most likely block too much light. If you want to be able to spray tint them yourself, get some VHT niteshades (spray tint designed for tail lights) from your local autozone/automotive store and then clearcoat over that. Just make sure to wet sand it if you want that nice shiny look.

9. stumpaction

stumpaction Rockstar

awesome. thanks