Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tail lights come on for no reason - 2005 Silverado 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by rtc830, Apr 26, 2012.

1. rtc830

rtc830 New Member

Brake lights come on for no reason. Thought it might be neighbors garage door opener triggering it but that is not it. Anyone with same issue and, if so, how do you solve it? Driving me crazy. Did it while out of town and neighbor called me. Finally went out. Thanks. Ron
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would check your brake switch by your brake pedal. I have seen those go bad and cause some weird issues. The contacts may not be separating far enough and a slight temperature change may cause the metal to move just enough to close and turn the lights on. After it warms up from the current flowing thru it could reopen itself and turn the lights off. With the last one I played with, I removed it from the truck, popped the case open, and bent the metal that the contacts are on back alittle. That was 2 years ago and it still works fine.
  3. rtc830

rtc830 New Member

Pikey - Thanks for response. Looked last night in that area but wasn't sure what I was looking for. Released emergency brake, fooled around with wires in area and lights went out. Not sure what I did but at least I know where to look. Will look for brake switch and replace or repair, as you did. Is the switch at top of brake pedal? Been a long time since I have worked on something like this. Thanks again. Ron
  4. Blazer454

Blazer454 Member

just follow the lever for your brake pedal up and there should be a sensor mounted to a bracket next to the brake pedal. It will have a little plunger that goes in and out when you step on the pedal
  5. rtc830

rtc830 New Member

Blazer454 -
    Thanks. I am going to figure this thing out with good replies I am getting. Got a cool ready to get me thru process. Thanks again. Ron
    PS - Nice mud. Bet that was fun getting all that on there.