Tail lights dont work

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by Dr_Zero, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

If you notice one day you have a fast flasher when you use your turn signal it usually means there is a problem with the turn signal or the brake lights.

First thing to check is which lights are out and replace the bulb that might do the trick but if its a tail light that is out there might be a little more to it.

The taillights have a "circuit board" with sockets that the bulbs plug into and they have a tendency to burn out in the socket.
    Here is a example of the different versions you may find

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. Dr_Zero

You can see the middle board has a issue right off on the middle socket one you get the bulbs out so lets take a closer look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its pretty crunchy down in there as you see from the different angles

BUT that is not all the issues with this circuit board you cant really tell from looking at first but the third socket on the bottom is getting burnt and will be out soon also!

[​IMG]

3. Dr_Zero

Here is the Top socket and you can see how it supposed to look

[​IMG]

This is a new aftermarket board that really shows off the actual circuit that is in the board and how it gets its name.

[​IMG]

This is another factory circuit board I came across and it has a different set of sockets than the others I have seen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Dr_Zero

Now this is a real common and easy to fix problem so no worries you can get a new pair of the boards in the HELP! section at most auto parts stores, or you can order them online say from Rockauto.com or maybe even Ebay.

There are a couple of other issues that can make it where you have no tails but they are not easy or as cheap!

The brake switch located on the brake pedal the part is cheap but the labor if you have big hands like me and have to pay someone make its not cheap.

The multi function switch can fail also and it will cause your tails to not work also not as common but common enough that you find many of them on Ebay.
    If you have tried everything else twice and still nothing and you have got out the multi meter and checked for power to the plug then I would break down and try one of these puppies. You may be able to get one from the junk yard to rule out the part but I would recommend a new one of these if that turns out to be the issue.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Sweet right up on the brake lights, now I am wondering what is inside my tail lights??? Maybe I will put some halo's back there to match my headlights, thanks for the great pictures!:great:

6. Dr_Zero

Ty ty I had been meaning to do this for awhile but you know how that goes LOL

Red halos in the rear hmm that would be cool :glasses: