1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tail Lights not working!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by dodger32, Mar 10, 2011.

1. dodger32

dodger32 New Member

i have a 2007 silverado classic, and my brake lights have stopped working. i checked all the fuses and they are all ok. the third brake light still works, and i know its not just bad light bulbs cause the blinker still works. i even tried chaning the bulb to see if just the brake light filament was bad and that did nothing. im thinking it might be the brake switch relay but im not to sure.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Your title says tail lights but in your text body it says both brake lights & tail lights. Which are we working with here??
  3. dodger32

dodger32 New Member

sorry about that. it is the brake lights that are not working
  4. stephan

Ok a good place to start would be to have a helper step on the brake pedal while you check for power at the sockets with a volt meter or a test light. Do you know if they both quit working at the same time, or did one go out some time before the other? There has been talk on here about the circuit boards going bad. :-(
  5. dodger32

dodger32 New Member

The left went out first then the right
  6. stephan

OK this sounds like the individual circuit boards then. If this had a common link, they would have both quit at the same time. Go ahead with your power test at the sockets. If no power there, then check for power into the boards. If you have power in, then the boards are bad. This could also be a corrosion problem. Did you see any when you were changing the bulbs out?
  7. pelletman

pelletman New Member

Did you fix this? I just lost my brake lights. The third brake light works. Where is the board you are talking about? Anyone know where the wiring diagram is for this?
  8. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If the 3rd works, the brake light switch is good, the main fuse feeding the switch is good.

You didn't provide vehicle info, but you probably have a fuse for the wires going to the rear light sockets, check it.

Have you checked the bulbs, like your house lights, it is usually the bulb that goes first.
  9. pelletman

pelletman New Member

I'm going to replace both bulbs first thing, but I kinda doubt they would both go out at the same time.. Of course one could have been out for a while.
  10. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I would hold the brake pedal down [use a piece of wood] then with a meter find the loss of voltage/grounds to the rear brake lamps.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012