Tailgate cables

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Mako, Feb 8, 2010.

Newest Photos

1. Mako

Mako New Member

Does anyone know what the weight rating is for tailgate cables for full size Chevy trucks? I've read the manufacturer will not rate them due to liability issues. I've also read of cables failing when loading heavy objects such as motorcycles, ATV, and lawn tractors. Is there any after market cables that are stronger than the factory ones? Is there any other way of assuring the cables won't fail during critical loading times? I have thought of fabricating a 2X8 of the proper length from the ground to the tailgate in order to take some of the stress off of the cables. Anyone have any ideas on this?????
  2. pmf608

pmf608 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I dont know what exactly they can handle, but if you are sure to replace them when they start to get old or worn, my stepdad (landscaper) has put a lot of weight on the cables of my 01 silverado, his 05 sierra, and his 06 and 08 ram trucks. This includes sitting the bobcat bucket on, rather than above them, the weight of palettes of paving stones (not the entire palette, but a decent portion of a 3000lb palette of block), quads, and many others. It has been my experience that they can hold a lot of weight as long as you are reasonable about it, with the exception of some 1999-2004 cables (were weak and actually recalled - AND caused the tailgate on my truck to fall on the highway while driving with the tailgate down when BOTH cables broke at once).
  3. Gmcsuvguy

Gmcsuvguy New Member 100 Posts

If you are having questions about loading your toy via the tailgate I would pick up a proper loading ramp set that actually puts the weight on the box instead of the tailgate.
  4. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I agree. Something that is load bearing should help Those cables are strong. They are right regular lay wire rope. I forget the safe working load equation but I do recall that 1/4" is about 1100 pounds of strength. That is a static (or gradual loading application) dynamic (slamming) load would be greatly reduced for a safe working load.
  5. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 New Member 100 Posts

I wish GM would have kept the metal link straps that they had on the older trucks... Those were great...
  6. pmf608

pmf608 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

are you referring to the folding ones that were like two pieces of solid metal? I think I saw those somewhere as an accessory - can't remember where, but if you can find them, I think someone still makes those.
  7. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 New Member 100 Posts

Yeah, they were indestructable...
  8. Gmcsuvguy

Gmcsuvguy New Member 100 Posts

and bit alot of fingers in the process too!!