1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tailgate handle no work

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by eddave, Jun 22, 2009.

1. eddave

eddave New Member

Hi guys,

I"m sure there is a posting somewhere on here, but I cannot find it. I've searched several different ways...

Here is the issue - and I know it's a common one. The tailgate handle has stopped working. The handle itself is fine, but the rods that connect to it have come loose. What is the best way to fix this? I've seen many Silverados and Sierras missing the trim plate on the tailgate handle - where I assume they've tried to repair this themselves...

Any tricks?

Thanks much - and call me an idiot by forwarding me to where I'm sure this has been asked before...
  2. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i used metal carb lincage clips on mine, so it should hold
  3. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

tack weld it or go to the dealership and get the plastic clips that hold it. those clips are like $5, but i lucked out, and they had an extra one laying around, and they just gave it to me
  4. bd1326

bd1326 Rockstar

you can pick up a new bezel for the handle at auto zone or advanced for about $10
  5. eddave

eddave New Member

Thanks!

Thanks guys for all of the tips! I'll try tackling it this weekend...
  6. 02silverad0

02silverad0 Rockstar

best way is the clips but for some odd reason one costs more than the other lol
  7. detailjohn

detailjohn Rockstar 100 Posts

plastic ty wraps work great...

I needed a quik fix because my tgate broke and my hunting gear was in the box..

Still holding

:great:
  8. bd1326

bd1326 Rockstar

its because they are different colors, isnt that stupid
  9. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

when they gave me mine, they came in pairs, but the other was gone so they gave me the other
  10. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I put a zip tie around the bar itself, and one around the lever that the bar goes into, and interlocked the zip ties. I just moved, so I opened and closed the tailgate a lot, and so far it has been holding.