tailgate handle

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jt_5.7, Aug 1, 2009.

1. jt_5.7

jt_5.7 Rockstar

i have a 96 truck and i want to remove it and i have no idea how?

2. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow Rockstar 100 Posts

theres 3 bolts in the back of the tailgate its self there torq bits and once loose you take the plastic bucket out and carefully pull out the handle and pop out the rods that are to the latches on the side care full not to drop em or you will be fishing for a few minutes to get em out http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=25 theres a basic layout of how it sets in the tailgate

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  3. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

why are you wanting to take the handle out? just replacing it or are you going to shave it and make a smooth tailgate?

4. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

i have a 95 and my handle barely works now like it doesnt unlach till the very last couple of cm when i pull it out and when i close it half the time it doesnt latch on, thats what happening to you?
    Chevy truck parts

5. daddytech

I would lube up the linkage behind the plate on the tailgate and on rach end of the tail gate latches too. need to use the white lithium grease on those latches so it will stay on there.

6. jt_5.7

jt_5.7 Rockstar

no its was chipping of so i wanted to paint it...havent had any problems with it opening yeat

7. daddytech

you ever get the thing off and get it taken care of yet?? if so how did it turn out?