Tailgate hinges on 2000 GMC Sierra

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by TJbear, Mar 6, 2012.

1. TJbear

TJbear Rockstar 100 Posts

Not sure if this is well known in "rustville" but just an FYI. My tailgate hinges on my 00 Sierra were rusted out and causing the tailgate to rattle around a bit and also sag a little on one side when lowering it. Both the pins that are on each side of the bed and the "receivers" on the tailgate are easily replaced. Each piece is held on by 2 bolts. Pulling the tail light assemblies allows access to the threaded parts of the bolts for pb blaster or another penetrating lube before removal, if needed. The bolts on the tailgate itself seemed to not be rusted at all and came right out. Aftermarket hinge kit is 20-25 bucks at your local parts store!

2. InfamousKG

InfamousKG New Member

I know you've already fixed it but what a lot of people with the 02 and back GM trucks don't know is that GM had a recall for that and the dealerships fix them for no charge. It ties in with the faulty tailgate cables. Just in case anybody else has this problem.

3. TJbear

TJbear Rockstar 100 Posts

I had the recall history pulled up on mine at the local dealer not long after I bought it in 2009 and the tailgate cable recall was performed on it a few years prior. in my case at least, there is no way those hinges were replaced, lol. It was obvious they were original and they were rotted to hell.