Tailgate latching issues 05 Sierra SLT

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Sierraowner5.3, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

my tailgate will latch, just not easily, have to slam it shut fairly hard up to a dozen times to get it to latch shut and stay shut, once i do tho, it stays that way. ive tried some WD-40 a few times but it only helps for just a little bit. wondering what else i could try.

Alex

2. gunnar

gunnar New Member

Possibly white lithium spray grease would last longer

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

If you sprayed the WD-40 into the handle, you not lubing everyhting. Try removing the tailgate panel and spray everything with a lube.

4. Sierraowner5.3

guess i should have specified that i sprayed the actual latch part in the sides of the tailgate, i might play with it some today, depends how hot it gets.

Alex

5. Sierraowner5.3

not to necro this, but i finally got around to pulling the actual handle on my tailgate. turns out the pivot for the handle that pops the latches on the sides of the tailgate was just seized up with rust. Hit it with some brake cleaner and then WD-40. played with the latch for a while getting it to lossen up. hit it with more brake cleaner and then a light coat of WD-40, put it back together, now my tailgate closes like a champ.

just thought id post this up for anyone else having issues with theirs.

Alex

6. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

Congratulations. I was going to suggest that repair, but I see you found it all by yourself. Go ahead and spray some white grease up into that handle to help prevent further rusting and seizing.
    Good Luck and God Bless