Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Tailgate Lock installed

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by detailjohn, Jun 1, 2009.

1. detailjohn

detailjohn Rockstar 100 Posts

Well I just installed a tailgate lock on my 06 GMC CC 4X4. Pretty basic install.

Let's see if the #$*#$#* try to steal stuff again!!!!

:fighting0037:

2. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Just recently replaced the handle on the driver's door. If it was the same setup for the lock as yours (and I think it is) it's as simple as popping the lock out with a screw driver and pushing a new one in, right? I had a heck of a time pushing the handle back in with both rods for the lock and handle clipped on.

I hope that keeps the meanies out of your truck!

3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have always put tail gate locks on my trucks, that is usually what I buy the second day I have the truck. The one's that I have bought you don't have to take the tailgate handle off, it takes some manuevering but it definately leaves no room for error. The thing I usually forget to do is lock the darn thing, especially if you just have an open bed and don't have a tonneau cover to remind you. I bought one of those power tail gate locks one time, and after I saw all the splicing you have to do with it I took it back and got the plain jane one for $20! :shocked:

Here is a picture of the one I put on my trucks, although I see now they have the whole replacement bucket and everything. Plus the new one's I see are running for $60, but mine is just the Summit Racing brand.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2858&stc=1&d=1243916916

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  4. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

thats the brand i use "pop loc" never failed me yet

5. spazzoid13

spazzoid13 Rockstar

nice rocker pods spring thing, didnt noticed you had put them on until you updated your picture, they look good on that thing.

6. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Thanks - quite happy with them!

7. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

8. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It wasn't that exact one, but it was like that. The instructions wanted me to tap into the power door lock wires, I make it a strict rule on my truck never to splice factory wiring. I just didn't think it was worth it to do that, when I bought that I had also bought 2- 200lb actuators for my tonneau cover. The amount of splicing for the tonneau cover and tail gate lock was a lot, and at the time the truck was a month old. Another thing that scared me away from it, was the fact of it malfunctioning and keeping me from opening my tail gate. I like my cheap little manual lock, this is my 4th one I have bought and never had any trouble with it messing up.

9. detailjohn

detailjohn Rockstar 100 Posts

Yup, I got the pop-lok!

I removed their sticker so it looks factory installed....

:great: