Tailgate Locks

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Black2008Silverado, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Black2008Silverado

Black2008Silverado New Member

Just had my tailgate stolen, :grrrrrr: should have known better and gotten a lock. Anyway when I replace it I planned to get a lock but ran across a few power locks that you can wire into your factory power door locks. When you use the remote or door lock swicth on the door it will lock/unlock the tailgate also.

Anyone using one of these they can recommend? They seem to be reasonably priced at around $100.

2. Stouffer

Stouffer Rockstar 100 Posts

Sorry about your tailgate. I have the lock on mine but never thought of a power lock, that is a great idea. What sites are you looking at?

3. Black2008Silverado

4. detailjohn

detailjohn Rockstar 100 Posts

5. 951500

951500 New Member

i found the key lock good but you have to use it steady because i left mine for a few weeks and it ended up seizing up on me and i couldnt lock it since.

6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Im not sure if McGard locks (the wheel lock guys) make a tailgate lock for the NBS but I know they have them for the classic body style. Its looks kinds like a wheel lock with a hook on it and replaces one of the tailgate mounting bolts so you dont have to have a key to open it.

7. ghuev

ghuev New Member

The one that that replaces the tail gate bolt is McGard part number 76036. Easy install, and no hassle wiring or worrying about getting locked out of your own tailgate.

8. wayned

wayned Rockstar 100 Posts

you can also put a hose clamp on the hing

9. Black2008Silverado

I bought a used tailgate off Craigslist but its white so now I have a two tone truck black and white. Eventually I'll get it painted black. Till then I bought one of the OEM tailgate locks from my Chevy dealer. I'm back in business, Thanks Guys.

Interesting story though, on Craiglist in Dallas I ran across 2 different ads. One had a black 2008 tailgate, the other claimed to be a junkyard gone out of business. Both individuals seemed very shady. Black tailgate guy told me its was sold then called back a few hours later and told me he still had it but he needed to meet immedietly, could not wait 30 minutes. The other guy basically wanted a text with exactly what I wanted and he would call me the next day. I believe these guys were taking orders to steal tailgates!

10. s5belford

s5belford Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

wow, thats a crazy story, my friends make fun of my bevause mine is always locked, I figured better to be safe than sorry!