tailgate relocator install

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by 03 Black Sunshine, Nov 23, 2009.

1. 03 Black Sunshine

03 Black Sunshine Rockstar 100 Posts

Like the title says anybody do this, Im wanting to do a relocate on the handle and smooth the tailgate and add a roll pan. the roll pan dont worry me. The relocate on the tailgate handle, however, does worry me.

Anybody know how hard a job it is to do, ACTUALLY. I've read about it in mags and they make it look like a walk in the park.

There are different kits to perform this Sir Michaels has one, LMC has one. I would just like some good ol first hand experience from anybody who may have it.

thanks,

tim

2. lowriderinms

lowriderinms Rockstar

its not hard, the worst parts are..

no, its not bad remounting the handle is easy. you can weld the filler plate, ot use an adhrsive of sorts. i had mine welded, and htey ended up having to put bondo all over the thing to smoth it out..

it is possible to weld it and not screw up or warp the tailgate but you have to put a tack on, cool it, then another tack and on and on... it takes for freakin ever. but it is so much easier to do the body work to get it right.. if you want email me and ill tell anything else you want..

3. 03 Black Sunshine

03 Black Sunshine Rockstar 100 Posts

Hy thanks for the info. I gota buddy at work who can do the welding, and I think he would do it right. I think im gonna pull the trigger and go for it. Christmas is coming up....hmmm

Tim

4. lowriderinms

lowriderinms Rockstar

cool

hey cool. but i tell ya take a lot of time on the welds.. if i go fast it will warp the whole thing.. and not cool

5. cliff334

cliff334 Member

yea its acutally very easy like they said tho take ur time welding the filler plate..for the relocator most kits will come with a template that makes it almost impossible to mess up.. just line up the bolt holes and cut