Tailgate stuck closed

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by dmitch323, Mar 2, 2010.

Newest Photos

1. dmitch323

dmitch323 New Member

Hey I having trouble opening my tailgate on my 06 Silverado. The handle assembly and clips
    are in good shape but the rod that attaches to the latch on drivers side has fell off. How do i get the gate open to repair the latch.
  2. Greg84

Greg84 New Member 100 Posts

You're going to have to take the trim piece that goes around the handle off. There are 4 plastic tabs on it, one near each corner. There also may be some foam tape sticking to the tailgate. You'll have to squeeze either the top down or the bottom up to get the tabs to release, and chances are one or more of those tabs are going to break when you take it off. If you don't break it you can reuse it, if not they are available for 8 or 9 bucks at advance auto or autozone (usually in the help! section).

Once that trim piece is off, just grab the rods and pull them towards the center and you'll be able to open the tailgate. The clip that holds the rod to the latch is probably broke (its a crappy design).
  3. dmitch323

dmitch323 New Member

The clips are not broke behind the handle. One of the clips is broke on the end attached to the
    driver side tailgate latch.
  4. Greg84

Greg84 New Member 100 Posts

Thats a new one for me! Good luck!
  5. Joe Morris

Joe Morris New Member

I have the same problem. the rod that attaches to the driver side lever came out/broke. i am unable to open the tailgate. did you ever get any help?
  6. afireinside

afireinside New Member

I had the opposite, I couldent close my tailgate. I took off the trim ring and it was frozen/rusted. So I spent 45.00 and got the newer codeable to my ignition key/lockable style (I have a 07 NBS) Got it off ebay