Tailgate up or down

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by blacksilverado07, Jan 16, 2008.

1. blacksilverado07

blacksilverado07 New Member

do you go faster with the tailgate up or down? i have a single cab silverado v8 5.3 fleet side and i just lost a race to another single cab 5.3 but its a stepside.
  2. TahoeFever

TahoeFever New Member

you get a better mpg less, wind resistance with the tail gate down cause it acts like a
    parachute :)
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  3. RockHead

RockHead New Member

Take it off :rofl:

You will get more MPG with it down........ Will it make you go fasrter :no: push the gas to the floor :lol:

Mark
  4. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member

It really doesn't make a difference as far as speed but you get better mpg's with it up cause it makes some sort of vortex thing that effectively causes the wind to push the truck forward.
  5. blacksilverado07

so i would go slower if i have the tailgate down
  6. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member

maybe........
  7. blacksilverado07

alright man thanks i hope that helps me next week i wanna rematch the same truck
  8. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member

what speeds were you starting from/going to and does he have any work done to the truck? These could add to why you lost.
  9. blacksilverado07

1/4 mile from a complete stop and we got up to about 90-95 his is completely stock and mine has 22's and a flowmaster exhaust but his is a stepside so the whole back is made of fiberglass and on the straight beds its made of metal
  10. Holy Smoke

Holy Smoke New Member

If your race is for acceleration,,, take the tail off, and loose your spare, jack,tools, 1/4 tank of fuel, tire pressure max. on front, get the front up.
    If your racing for speed, tail up. The air pressure will build up inside and in front of the tail. Air over the cab will not drop down so far and will ride across the air in the bed. There was a wind tunnel test on this. The air doesn't have to change directions so dramatically. I have not tested this. (in case any police are watching):happy:
  11. blacksilverado07

its not about the start my truck always takes off faster but somehow he catches up like nothing
  12. TahoeFever

TahoeFever New Member

Yah no kidding considering you got the famous pull me over red :)
  13. blacksilverado07

pull me over red?
  14. sierraman

sierraman New Member

the stepsides are always gonna be a hair quicker because they are lighter
  15. TahoeFever

TahoeFever New Member

the color red on a truck gives yah a greater chance on saying morning or evenin to the boys in blue ...they like pullin over red vehicles alot more than any other color ... :)
  16. blacksilverado07

my truck is black though
  17. Sooner

Sooner New Member

In addition to Mythbusters killing the tailgate down theory (I love Mythbusters), the National Research Council Canada (NRCC) showed that leaving the tailgate down or removed made wind resistance worse (5%) on trucks with the short beds and made little to no difference on trucks with long beds. So, leave the tailgate up and convince your buddy he needs to drop his. Maybe that's the advantage you need. LOL

http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/highlights/2007/0705uplands_e.html
  18. blacksilverado07

but you would think that you would go faster because the wind can escape
  19. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member

you could have different gears which would explain why you start out quicker but lose in the top end.
  20. Holy Smoke

Holy Smoke New Member

I like your thinking. :great: Every one should visit the info above. Thank you Sooner !!!

Black Silverado 07 ,,, I think TahoeFever was talking about my "pull me over red" The police just mail them to me. I do have a I Support Sheriff's Depart. licence plate on front of truck. Helps a little.:neutral:
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2008