1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tailgate up or down

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by blacksilverado07, Jan 16, 2008.

1. blacksilverado07

blacksilverado07 New Member

do you go faster with the tailgate up or down? i have a single cab silverado v8 5.3 fleet side and i just lost a race to another single cab 5.3 but its a stepside.
  2. TahoeFever

TahoeFever New Member

you get a better mpg less, wind resistance with the tail gate down cause it acts like a
    parachute :)
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  3. RockHead

RockHead New Member ROTM Winner

Take it off :rofl:

You will get more MPG with it down........ Will it make you go fasrter :no: push the gas to the floor :lol:

Mark
  4. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member 1000 Posts

It really doesn't make a difference as far as speed but you get better mpg's with it up cause it makes some sort of vortex thing that effectively causes the wind to push the truck forward.
  5. blacksilverado07

so i would go slower if i have the tailgate down
  6. 95CTburb19

maybe........
  7. blacksilverado07

alright man thanks i hope that helps me next week i wanna rematch the same truck
  8. 95CTburb19

what speeds were you starting from/going to and does he have any work done to the truck? These could add to why you lost.
  9. blacksilverado07

1/4 mile from a complete stop and we got up to about 90-95 his is completely stock and mine has 22's and a flowmaster exhaust but his is a stepside so the whole back is made of fiberglass and on the straight beds its made of metal
  10. Holy Smoke

Holy Smoke New Member

If your race is for acceleration,,, take the tail off, and loose your spare, jack,tools, 1/4 tank of fuel, tire pressure max. on front, get the front up.
    If your racing for speed, tail up. The air pressure will build up inside and in front of the tail. Air over the cab will not drop down so far and will ride across the air in the bed. There was a wind tunnel test on this. The air doesn't have to change directions so dramatically. I have not tested this. (in case any police are watching):happy: