1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Tailgate won't latch all the time.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by MCGA, Aug 3, 2008.

1. MCGA

MCGA New Member

I was told to lube springs were hooks are and in latch handle. What lube should I use? WD-40, grease, or something else? Also, Do I need to take the 3 bolts off from the inside side of the bed? Or, do I just lift handle and spray?

Thanks for any input!

MC

2. anthonyl9

anthonyl9 Rockstar 100 Posts

I suggest lithium grease..it should repel the water better than any other and stay on longer than the rest.

3. DerronCK

DerronCK New Member

I am having the same problem with my 99 GMC 2500. I was told to replace both latches and hooks but I was waiting to do my own research. Did the lube help your tailgate problems?

4. Never Enough

Never Enough Rockstar 100 Posts

My 04 did the same thing. Just spray some wd40 in there and it'll fix it. I didnt even remove the handle...just sprayed a bunch in there since it was sticking.

5. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

White lithium grease should do a better job then WD-40. It lasts a longer time, i just suggest cleaning the parts.

Edit:

Wow, i just read your post, i was an extreme echo.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  6. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I use lithium grease myself. Hope it works for you.

7. bd1326

bd1326 Rockstar

had the same problem when i got my new truck, kept putting it off until i was making a left turn and stomped on the gas, sending everything in the bed into the street. thought it was the latches, tried lubing them and it did't work. i took the tailgate handle bezel off and pulled the handle and noticed the arms opened and didn't go back. i ened up removing the mechanism. to do this you need to removel the handle bezel, use a prying tool that won't chip your paint, a screwdriver with electrical tape on it worked for me. then you have to disconnect the latch rods. there are two plastic retaining clips that hold them into the arm, unlatch these and rotate them 90 degrees. you should be able to pull the rods out of the arms, the retainig clips stay in the arms. unbolt the handle from inside to tailgate, remove the handle. i used carb cleaner and marine grease, just because i think the grease holds up water a little better than lithium, i might be wrong though. reinstall in reverse order.

8. plumber_rob

plumber_rob Rockstar 100 Posts

It takes me a few slams of the the tailgate to get it to stay closed. I have had it fall open going down the road a few times. Looks like I'm going to have to take it a part and lube the latch.