Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Tailgate

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Gambit, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Gambit

Gambit Rockstar 100 Posts

Ok this is a minor annoyance but i bought my truck used and i have always had some play in the tailgate. i mean it is like the striker pins arent thick enough. i close the tailgate and i can wobble the top of it like a 1/4". The bottom is fine so it isnt the pocket hinges. Again to me it is almost like someone put striker pins that were to thin on there. Does anyone else have this issue and if not can someone please measure the diameter of there striker pin and post it so i have a comparison to use. Thanks

2. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

Are you sure its catching on both sides? I've seen a lot of them with tonneau covers or bed mats that got in the way of the tailgate a little bit and only one side would be latching. Grab the top of the tailgate when its closed one side at a time, if one side is firm and the other isn't then that loose side probably isn't latched at all.

3. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

that happens with mine too. The problem on my truck is that the truck seems to have come with a plastic coating on the striker pins, which over the years has been chewed up and come off completely. This difference in the thickness causes a bit of looseness in mine, which in turn means that you have to push it in to release the latches because it sits out that 1/8 inch or whatever farther than it should.

4. mmorgan1865

mmorgan1865 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

The whole easy lift tailgate thing cracks me up. Our tailgate weights half as much as our competition and that's a good thing. :glasses:

5. Gambit

Gambit Rockstar 100 Posts

Yes Greg84 i am sure it is catching on both sides. i dont have a tonneau or bed mat just the stock bed liner. But it does the same thing on both sides. What pmf608 said sounds to me like it is the issue. Once my LMC parts catalog gets here i will just orders new striker pins and see what happens.