1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tailpipe crimp?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Bruhaun, Sep 9, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Bruhaun

Bruhaun New Member

I was under my truck (02' 2500 4x4 6.0L) and noticed either a crimp or dent right at the curve next to the spare [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]tire[/COLOR][/COLOR]. It looks like a dent but I called a local Chevy service rep and he said it's factory to keep the spare from melting and needed exhaust back pressure. Any advice? I bought the truck used and never noticed it before. The exhaust is 3 1/2". Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Z-71

Z-71 New Member 100 Posts

Looks kind of like it was put there on purpose but what they said just doesn't make much sense
  3. dshewy14

dshewy14 New Member 100 Posts

i agree but as long as its not leaking or anything i wouldnt worry bout it, bc it aint going to hurt anything
  4. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP New Member 100 Posts

i dont think my 04 had one like that but i could be wrong
  5. ippielb

ippielb New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My 02's exhaust didn't look like that. And back pressure?... That shouldn't matter after the muffler.
  6. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sounds like BS, he just didnt care and just gave you a line, if that 1/4 inch is enough to keep the tail pipe from melting the tire, then the rest of the exhaust should be further away from the tire, looks like the truck came down on something at some point.
  7. Bruhaun

Bruhaun New Member

Thanks for the replies- I found a couple other 02's around my jobsite and they too had the dent. Mine was by far the deepest though. I called a muffler shop and he confirmed it did come like that from the factory. They didn't know why, but there it is. He said it was nothing to worry about. Looks like crap regardless-
  8. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

On my 04 its crimped closer to the front of the truck. You can get rid of it by having a muffler place replace the last foot or two of the pipe. Or go with a full blown exhaust.
  9. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My brothers 01 does not have that