Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Taking a little off the tailshaft

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ippielb, May 24, 2010.

1. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

How does one cut the tail shaft from a 2wd turbo 350 tranny, to make the tail shaft fit into the transfer case. Tried reciprocating saw, lube, and a bunch of elbow grease, and 10 minutes, and it got me 2mm into it. Basically past the splines.

Look at that hole!
    [​IMG]
    Hey, i can see down your flywheel lol.
    [​IMG]

What a mess of stuff...

[​IMG]

Nice orange turbo 350 tranny to be put in.

Basically what i need to cut off, is what sticks out past the adapter and transfer case mount.
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. dualdj1

dualdj1 Rockstar 100 Posts

Those shafts are hardened steel, you're going to have a hell of a time getting it cut even with a good saw. I would think you'd want to replace the tailshaft with the correct length one, but don't know if that's possible.

I was looking at changing my van trans out with one from a 4x4, but the tailshaft is obviously too short. Was curious if it's possible to swap them.
  3. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

You should be able to swap the shaft w/ one from a 4x4, have to disassemble the trans to do it.

A machinist should be able to cut it but you would still need to take it out of the trans...
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Wow- I would try a grinder with several cut off wheels.

Wear some sort of mask and eye protection-
    Also-like dualdj said- HARDENED STEEL- pack your lunch it could take quite a while to get thru it.

Can't you find a replacement? I'm guessing you have a really good reason to cut it rather than replace it-maybe it is tough to replace, or hard to find in that length- or expensive?

You can eventually cut almost anything with a cut off wheel-won't cut as cleanly as a saw-and you have to keep your cut at 90 degrees-not easy. Hardened steel is HARD- get the wheels that make the most impressive claims of cutting the hardest stuff!
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Abrasive cutoff wheel in an angle grinder. Bevel the splines and clean up when you are done.
  6. dualdj1

dualdj1 Rockstar 100 Posts

basically, besides finding a replacement, you have to disassemble the whole trans to change it.
  7. phoebeisis

dualdj1

Thanks-figured it was something like that. It isn't the sort of part you can "slip" out slip in.

Yes,I would do just what he is doing-carefully cut that sucker with a grinder and cut off wheels.

My cheapo 4.5" $20 Harbor Freight grinder is my "universal" tool. Currently I'm using that sucker to cut .092" acrylic plexiglas sheets. I'm putting little window ACs in to save $$ on cooling costs (New Orleans is hot- 92 degrees everyday already and true summer is 4 weeks off).

Cut off wheels seem to be able to cut everything-eventually. Maybe the hardening is mainly just the surface and under it is just REALLY HARD Tough STEEL instead of really really hard steel.

It might take 1/2 hour and several wheels.

Luck
    Charlie
  8. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Haha, wow, that was easy. I just went to Princess Auto and bought 5 powerfist grinder cutting blades for $10. I expected it would take quite a few to get through the bastard. It took half of one blade, and 2 minutes for me to cut through the entire shaft. Then 2 minutes with a grinder blade to it to clean it up. In total it probably took me 7 minutes to cut it up and clean it up.
  9. phoebeisis

Yeah, my cheapo grinder is my universal cutting tool.

The sucker will cut anything.

Amazing what those abrasive wheels will cut.

Well, I figured at least 10 minutes- just 2 minutes huh. Guess once you get through the hardening-maybe just 1/1000 or so- it is just tuff but not too hard steel.

Luck
    Charlie