Taking the top off a '75 K5

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by cdvntx, Mar 9, 2008.

1. cdvntx

cdvntx Rockstar

I bought a winch to pull the top off my Blazer. I'm trying to make it as quick and painless as possible. Now I'm running straps under the top and making a big loop in the rear and through the door windows in front. I'm having to lift the rear part of the top up, put blocks between the top and body so I can slip the straps thru. I looked for some strong enough hooks, to where I could just place them at the rear window seal and just lift, but the hooks that were big enough were not rated for the weight of the roof. I have a roof rack as well and the mounts seems very sturdy, but I'm not sure this is a good thing to do. Anybody else have a system set up?

2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Are you trying to rig something up to self-load and unload? Last time I removed my top I unbolted it, got inside and lifted enough to walk it to the back untill a buddy and I could get on each side and lift it off. I have seen people have the hoist type system like from the rafters in a garage or shop for a camper shell so i'm sure something like that would work.

3. Gmcsuvguy

Gmcsuvguy Rockstar 100 Posts

What kind of mounting system does your roof rack have? Do the bolts go through the roof? If they go through the roof and have a plate under them I would think that it would be plenty strong enough to lift off the top. I used to lift mine off the old fashion way, wish I had a winch system to lift it off.

4. cdvntx

cdvntx Rockstar

This is what I'm doing presently. I'd like to come up with some hooks to pick up the rear, instead of having to place the wood under the top.
    [​IMG]

5. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I like your setup!

6. wallstetter

wallstetter Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

my buddy he put 4 eye hooks in the top then hung straps from the rafters. this was for an old top that didnt look very good i wouldnt do it with a nice top

7. cdvntx

cdvntx Rockstar

Well, I've been hooking right on to the luggage rack and lifting it off, I've had it hanging for weeks at a time. Am I pressing my luck?

8. GMC era

GMC era Rockstar

That's a sweet setup!

9. cdvntx

cdvntx Rockstar

Thanks! The top is back on just waiting for the next top off kind of day...I guess I'll get around to doing some restoration work on it. I blew out the front hub on my last off road adventure...

10. 1990 GMC Jimmy

1990 GMC Jimmy New Member

I like the set up! Are you not afraid of that 2X6 sliding towards the front of the canopy and the tail end coming down?
    I think i would forget the lumber all together and just loop the straps around the two rear corners.

I have a '90 Jimmy i am trying to fix, and this is a wicked idea and once shes back in shape i think i might just have to get myself set up like this!