1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Talegate/Tale Lights Adventure

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by paul0451, Mar 4, 2009.

1. paul0451

paul0451 New Member

I was staying in a hotel in El Paso. When I came out the next morning I found my tailgate open. I wondered why then I noticed that both my taillights were missing! I had to drive 300 miles without taillights.

When I got home I replaced the lights with after-market lights then installed an automatic lock on the tailgate. Now my tailgate locks whenever I lock my doors. It takes about 2 minutes to remove the taillights with the use of cordless power tools. Easy pickings for thieves. Those things ain't cheap either!

Soooo....Watch out!
  2. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member 1000 Posts

wow that's awful! I've never heard of that happening before but people are crazy these days...
  3. dpscranton

dpscranton New Member

ill do ya one better... my grandfather lives in georgetown, massachusetts and he came out of his condo to find his entire tailgate missing!!!!
  4. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts

That's crazy! I wouldn't have thought about taillight thieves! Good call on the tailgate lock. I was planning on getting one when/if I get a tonneau cover one day. Maybe I should get one before then...
  5. paul0451

paul0451 New Member

Have you ever priced a new tailgate? They ain't cheap either! My bro-in-law owns a body shop so I get parts at cost, even then parts are expensive!

One evening the local high school had a football game. After the game everyone with a truck discovered their tailgate missing! I live in the country, everyone owns a truck.

Fords have tailgate locks, I'm convinced it's a great idea.
  6. cascott325

cascott325 New Member 1000 Posts

i think we need to start doing what they do in other countries, when you get caught stealing, you should have a hand or finger cut off. i know thats a little cruel, but the theft rate would drop drastically i think
  7. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts

Where did you get the auto lock?
    Sorry to hear about the loss.
  8. paul0451

paul0451 New Member

I got it at our local Standard Auto Parts store. I think any parts store will carry them. They offer the automatic and one that requires a key to open the gate. The automatic is great but not easy to install.
  9. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Sorry to hear about your mis-fortune.
  10. Henchman

Henchman New Member ROTM Winner

Thanks for the heads up man!