1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

TAXES! Argh!

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Apr 17, 2012.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I just put in for the extension on my taxes. I realized that after counting nearly $14,000 in medical expenses for 2011 that I still had a lot of work to do to make them right. Grrrrrr, I gave myself two weeks to get them done, but this last year was just crazy insane, i needed 2 months to get them done, but there are still at least 200 items I have to tabulate.
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yuck. :grrrrrr:
  3. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Try NY taxes.. Talk about ARRGGGHH!!!! I work in PA where taxes are a flat 3.08%(I think) then after I do a pa return I have to do ny where they want another 3.6%. Well I was just happy I didnt have to give ny the whole 6.7% But the worst part is watching the higher powers wasting it away.
  4. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It sounds like you're doing it the right way though Steve if you're having to figure in that many items. See? Optimism!! I usually do my own, but next year I'm going to my family CPA and letting him do it. I have a feeling next year is going to be a royal pita.

Are you at least getting something back? That usually helps take the edge off.
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You definitely don't want to do your taxes the wrong way. The IRS tends not to like that....
  6. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

I am surprised with all the electronic gadgets and programs that more individuals don't start doing their taxes at the first of the year. Just add all tax information in that funny little Tv then at the end of the year push a button and be gone with it. Caan this not be simpler than saving all paperwork then inputting at the last moment?:neutral:
  7. IanF

IanF Rockstar 100 Posts

Being a tax accountant by profession, I can empathsize with you guys. The trick is really very simple, organize everything as it comes in throughout the year, buy the right software and sit down when you are not stressed and get started. If you have to spend more than an hour looking for receipts and slips you were not ready or organized enough. Did mine, my wifes and my sons returns for Canada in about an hour last night. My US return took a little more time last week, but, with about six to seven hundred receipts and having to go back to the '80s for info it still did not take more than a day. Too many times when I do other peolples returns, I find they were NOT properly prepared to begin with AND they left it too late. Both the IRS and Revenue Canadadon't like excuses and there are severe penalties for lateness. Be a boy Scout!

ALWAYS BE PREPARED!!!!!!!!
  8. Ridyn

Ridyn Rockstar 100 Posts

I remember my parents always stressing out during this time of year (tax season), mainly because my mother was a high end nurse or w/e and my father was a family practitioner. I think combined both my parents ended up paying over 18 grand a year in taxes...not too sure I just knew not to mess with momma or pops when it came to this month, unless i absolutely needed something lol.
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Steve the GSA called, they disapproved your extension, they need to know right now how much $$ they have for their vacation.... ah I mean professional meetings in Hawaii, the South Pacific, and Las Vegas this year and your extension is messing up their budget.