1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

TBI 350 to a TBI 454 K1500

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by James4012, Mar 13, 2013.

1. James4012

James4012 New Member

Thinking of just going ahead and throwing a 454 in Betty. I found one here recently at a pick N pull *truck was totaled in the front end and rolled, generally means it was running when it was wrecked lol* For $350 complete you can't beat that. I know I'm going to have to play with bigger shocks and probably torsion bars off a K2500 to support the extra weight *the K1500 Tbars are already maxed pretty much compensating for the front bumper* It's got a 5 speed, but it ain't no heavy duty thing. On a good note, the rear end isn't a stock 10bolt rear end so I'm not worried about tearing that out with to much torque. Radiator of course will have to be bigger. The computer for the 454 *which will come from the totaled truck* I know they use the same computer as a 350 but it has a different chip that runs it. Will a 350 clutch and pressure plate fit? I got a brand new entire clutch *another pick n pull jewel that was still in the box it was bought with alignment tool, throw out bearing, bushin, disc and clutch for $30* and I was hoping to use it. What all would it need *aside from the obvious that any chevy shade treer would know* Thanks
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Keep us Updated with Pics...
  3. James4012

James4012 New Member

Alright, I'm gonna go check on the motor tomorrow. The truck is in dire need of a bed and front fenders. :/ I can't afford it at the moment, but I'm gonna go ahead and pull a list up on everything and see what it'll cost to do all this. Luckily I won't have to buy the computer for the 454 T_T I'll just pull the intake on it first, throw the computer under it, button it back up and pull it out. $180 my @*$ >_>
  4. James4012

James4012 New Member

Well stopped by and took a in depth look at the motor and what it'd take to get it out. Sad to say I'm going to have to cut parts of the grill and fenders out. Was hit in the driver side front end enough to shove the Rad all the way into the fan, busted the steer rod because both front tires are turned opposite ways. Most the bolts for the fender that's got the rad crammed into the fan are all covered under crumpled metal. Looks like a job for a torch or grinder with a couple cutting blades. Other than that I couldn't find no damage to the motor anywhere. I got em down to $500 for the engine, entire exhaust system, and clutch assembly. Seems like a decent enough price. Kills two birds with one stone seeing as I was needing to redo the entire exhaust on my truck to pass inspection *been out since 06 XD*
  5. geo1

geo1 Member

no luck with 350 backfiring?
  6. James4012

James4012 New Member

Not a single bit. Just for giggles I replaced the distributor, plugs and plug wires all again and no luck. I even went with a different TBI just to try anything. I'm done spending money on a engine that no one can figure out. Dumped way to much into it already.
  7. Chris Miller

Chris Miller New Member

Sounds to me like it might have jumped time a bit.
  8. geo1

geo1 Member

Chris,in silverado forum is his first thread,read thru that,got strange circumstances
  9. James4012

James4012 New Member

Yeah lol might want to read that one first lol. The list of things tried is very extensive. I've pulled the timing quite a few times with other things I've tried. Everyone that looks at it says timing first, but each and everyone says it's right after they look at it.