1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

TBI Identification

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MightyMax, May 17, 2010.

1. MightyMax

MightyMax Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey all,
    I have a '91 Chevy Silverado 5.7L 350 V8
    The people that had it before me put on some Edlebrock parts.
    I am wondering if there is a way to tell if the TB on the thing is the original or a different one.
    The red ring under the TB says Powerade on it (I believe).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But there is a rich gas smell, and I think one of my injectors needs to be replaced, but I am not sure which injectors I should look to get.

Thanks for any help
  2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Looks like a lot of work has been do to that engine. That doesn't look like the original intake, so I'm guessing it might not be the original tb.

Hard to tell by looking at it, with the air cleaner on it. Also sounds like it's got a tb spacer on it.

Can you get some pics with the air cleaner off of it, and also do you see any part numbers on the tb unit itself?
  3. MightyMax

Yes, the people that owned it before me did some "stuff" too it.

They butchered the A/C system badly, so I spent last summer fixing that.

I believe the red thing is a spacer....what do they do actually?

I will get some pictures with the air cleaner off.
    I have looked for P/N on the TB, but I have not seen any so far.....
  4. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I've got a throttle body spacer on my truck from AirAid. A tbi spacer causes turbulence in the incoming air causing it to mix with fuel better creating better overall combustion and power.
  5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Once you get pictures we will really be able to help out.. since there are a lot of us on here with TBis.. I have a Holley on my truck, and i believe it is stock.. And my 1988 had an AC delco also stock as far as we could tell...
  6. MightyMax

Ok, got some pictures, they are bigones, so I will try to post in a way that doesn't kill your i-net connection

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well scratch that....on another forum similar to this one, they have a "Spoiler" tag that allows a field in the post to collapse and open up by pressing a button, but I don't see that here.
    Sorry about the size of the pictures, but I wanted to make sure you got a good view of the TB.
  7. MightyMax

Hmm...
    Let me size those down and see if I can do better.
  8. MightyMax

Ok, I resized the pix to 1024x768
    If that causes issues, let me know, I will go down some more on them.
  9. MightyMax

FYI
    The problem I am having is a real rich fuel smell around the TB.
    So I am wanting to try and get rid of that smell.
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That's a Rochester TB, which I presume is factory GM. Maybe not from 350 thought, I don't know. How does the truck run?

I think the smell is just that the TB is nasty. You can get a Sorensen service kit from them at AutoZone etc. Pretty simple to work on. A couple hours, clean it up like new.

Most guys report good results with the TB spacer.