TBI to Carb Swap Timing?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by dunbar26, Feb 28, 2011.

1. dunbar26

dunbar26 New Member

Hey guys, I just swapped out the TBI off my truck and went with a carb set up. I swapped everything over correctly and now my only problem is how do I time the motor. I'm running an edelbrock 750 carb with a msd HEI dizzy to get rid all the computer controlled stuff I just can't figure out how to set the timing on the motor. If anyone could help me out that would be great.

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club Dunbar..
    Don't know exactly where you're at so I'll start at the beginning. Pull #1 spark plug. Put a socket & breaker bar or large ratchet on the front crank bolt. Put your finger over the no#1 plug hole & rotate the crank clockwise (as viewed from the front) untill you feel pressure on your finger from the compression. Watch as the line comes to your timing marks. Stop about 10 or 12 degrees BTDC. Pull the cap off your distributor & see where your rotor is pointing. It should be pointing at #1 spark plug wire tower. If not, set it so it does. Once you get it correct it will fire & then you can set your timing with a light.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Curious what engine/cam you're running that 750 on.

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. X2 more info on the truck.

5. dunbar26

dunbar26 New Member

Its a 350 running Edelbrock RPM Performer heads, Edelbrock Air Gap Intake Manifold, Holley 750 carb, msd dizzy, headman long tube headers. I know the carb is a little too big but I got it for really cheap so we'll see how it goes.

6. TomsHHR

TomsHHR Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011