TBI to TPI swap ?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 2loud, Dec 10, 2008.

1. 2loud

2loud Rockstar 100 Posts

Hi has search around but cant find what il need .. il got an old burb its a K model 1995 w 350 . now im gonna swap to an 383 engine and plans to rebuild the engine with an TPI system instaed of the TBI

what problems does i need to solv ? the biggest problem is to control the trans otherwise il could have used "whatever" ecm to an stock TPI engine and yust remapped my prom .. anybody got knowledge of this or have some nice links that guide me thrue it ?

2. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sorry, I have no experience with this, but am interested in this as well. Please keep this post updated with what you find and if you decide to take on the project or not.

3. 2loud

2loud Rockstar 100 Posts

i AM gonne do this . i have already orderd the engine at www.golenenginservice.com and i have asked for higher combustion (read E-85) and becuse this is a low budget project ( this engine is build by left owers from my other engines ) i get that higher combustion by work on the cylinderheads ,, and that means that only the intake as chad adjust to this engine will match il will use an baseplate from tpis called Big mounth ,, and yust
    becuse it isent a easy way to adjust another intake for this engine in a regular garage gives me no "cheating" options *lol*

4. ct9a

Nice, good luck with the swap. If you can, do a write up on it. I'd love to be able to use it when I get to that point with mine.

BTW, what's the benefits of this vs. the MPI swap kits they sell?

5. 2loud

2loud Rockstar 100 Posts

He he the mostly benefit is that i already got this stuff on the shelf and you vcant even imagen what i kit like this cost here in sweden

i have lots of nice project awating .. i have an 454 smallblock engine that shoud go into a 89 firebird and on that one i shall use an holley 950 commander system -- in this container that i shall recive from chad (golen ) theres another 383 that shall enter an 87 Fbird .. on that one i shall use an accel dfi 7 injection system , both those cars has an Th 700R4 transmission and dosent give me any problems with electronic solutions .. this 383 that shall go to the burb as has an 4L60E is another story .. i hasent got a clue about how to solv this without use an working solution ( I.A Gms own trans steering by the ecm ) il think there are some oteher boxes as you can buy yust to make the 4L60E trans work but then i still got to the injection to work in the burb .. and im not shore but il think its an easyer way to got by use the stock ecm of the burb and make it work on the TPI instaed or ? ( al proposal( solutions are welcome ) ,, and in this container there are also a 396 engine for my impala ss 96 .. even that one is E85 build and in gas version it delivers 520 HP and by adapt it to E85 it wond deliver less (hehe ) .. when that is done i MIGHT gonna have some sparetime to finaly get my whipple on my escalade .. i bought this at the same time as the escalade but hawe by manny reasons not got the time to install it .. well that will be the NEXT time ... also *lol*

6. ct9a

Holy crap you have some nice projects going on. Please, again, keep me updated as to how this is coming.

7. 2loud

2loud Rockstar 100 Posts

8. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Are you using the factory TPI? Aftermarket system? Edelbrock Performance if you have access to them for aftermarket for the TPI system they have. Factory, the ECM from the Camaros and the Corvettes are the ones your going to need to control fuel management. I believe the associated fuel pump and relays as well will be necessary. This will all depend on what Year the TPI comes from, as I am like ct9a
    interested in your adventures with this, TPI in the Burbans would have been a great match...
    Not sure if you can access this site:
    http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/t...uned_port_injection_small_block_v8/index.html

Jeff

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  9. 2loud

2loud Rockstar 100 Posts

well the main problem is how to control the transmission .. i have that computoriced 4L60E in the suburban and it want work without a computer , im gonna use factory parts (almoust) baseplate from tpis (big mounth) bigger runners ( propebly from tpis also , they are used and i havent seen them "irl" yet ) ,, stock plenumchamber (reworked to match the runners) bigger injectors . bigger throttlebody ,, i have both the speed density and the older maf system avaible ,, but i would love to get al of these parts working in the SAME ECM ,, the older TPI systems did never run with 4L60E so i dont think they support transcontrol .. someone says i shall use a computer from an LT-1 ,, that may work cause they also got an 4L60E trans but then i dont know how they will work against the tpi system .. well as soon is i get in contact with someone who´s gotr the KNOWLEDGE about how those damn 0/I signals work i will find out what way to go .. ,, i am running this on stock parts yust to get a better budget .. (i alreadu got the most of the parts ) ,, in your country where you can find these parts for a nickel & a dime theres another story .. also you see a whole difrent pricetag on al aftermarket systems .. look at the nice accel system as you par like $2200 for the same system here you can get for aprox doubble price .. everything is extremly expensive here becuse of that this is a small country (low flow on the products) huge shiping costs and finaly when it enters the border the customs of these parts are like 7% and THEN on the total cost ( partsprice,inshurence,shiping,customs) they ad a tax of 25 % so in the end the parts get like doubble the price ,,,!"""" viva la svede """""

10. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I like your attitude,sorry about the cost of your enjoyment. I understand about the older ECM and the trans you want to use with the TPI system. You don't have someone you could trade for a 700R4 do you? That would be nice and less of I/O headache, yes????? What else can we do for you? Let me know about the bulbs and we will take of it! Anything else...........

Jeff