1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tcase Issues 02 2500hd

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by COdix699, Oct 1, 2013.

1. COdix699

COdix699 New Member

I'm not sure what tcase I have (manual shifted), but when placed in hi/lo it pops. I've poked around a bit underneath and other than road grime, it's really clean. I didn't notice any repairs or holes, im just wondering about any other possible t case issues im not aware of. Guy I got the truck from said the chain was bad, and im going to look at the cv joints tomorrow. Any help is appreciated.
  2. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would check replace the transfercase fluid. it should be blue. this is GM trac II. some have installed transmission fluid rather than the trac II . this is damaging to these .

replace this fluid every 30-40,000 miles to avoid these failures.
  3. COdix699

COdix699 New Member

J cat, there was a tag on the case talking about using only dexron II. Would this be the same stuff?
  4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

@j cat. He has the manual case not the autotrac case. Checking the fluid is a good idea but use what supersedes the dex II. I know you can find dex III (usually labeled dex/merconIII). I believe there is higher than that though.

Its ts been a while since I had my Chevy with the floor shifter, so don't think I will be much help. Can you explain "pops" more. Does it pop out or just give a clunk after you shift and start to move. Does it do it once and work. Or does it keep popping?
  5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The superseding fluid is GMs current tranny fluid Dexron VI
  6. COdix699

COdix699 New Member

dsfloyd, It's a continuous rapid fire popping. straight line, turning, doesn't matter. I haven't had time to check the fluid yet. been parking it in the same spot for a week and no stains on the ground. I guess I could not have anymore to leak... whats the best way to go about checking and filling a tcase on these trucks?
  7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Pull off the top fill plug and stick your finger in to check. To fill, well you need to be creative... I got a funnel with a long flex hose to fill mine.
  8. COdix699

COdix699 New Member

ill attempt to check it today. going for an oil change seeing as the low oil message popped up. checked it and it was a medium brown. kinda new, but used. not quite black. hoping someone changed it and just didn't fill it up all the way and not a more serious issue
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would put oil in it BEFORE I drove it to get the oil change. You never want to drive with low oil even a short distance.
  10. COdix699

COdix699 New Member

LOL. that goes without saying.

- - - Updated - - -

Not so good news. the fill plug is rounded off something ridiculous. the drain plug seems to be stuck. tightened enough I cant break it loose without fear of rounding it off. t case has specific warnings about impact wrenches. does this have to do with the t case being messed up, or just the plugs? thoughts are if its just the plugs to pop them out and replace them with new. that's gonna happen anyway, but I don't know how to get them out. any ideas?

- - - Updated - - -

truck also bucks when the case is engaged. pop and bucks are more frequent in 4 lo than in 4 hi.