1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tcase Issues 02 2500hd

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by COdix699, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Are you driving it on dirt or dry pavement?
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Always remove the fill before you touch the drain plug you don't want to be in a situation where you can't add more fluid yet have drained it all out. Hey if its rounded off at least that means in theory the fluid was replaced on a consistent basis. From what I remember the drain and fill plugs on the t-case are very large so I don't think there's an extractor you could use, but if you get replacements and know your replacing the plug you could use vicegrips to remove the rounded one. They shouldn't be insanely tight, mine came off after one hard crank to loosen and then it was easy to hand remove.
  3. Pikey

can you take video of the sound with your phone and post it?
  4. COdix699

COdix699 New Member

i test drove it having been told by the P.O. that it had a popping noise. i was on pavement the first time. complete stop, neutral, 4 lo, took my foot off the brake and it started. i stopped, took it out of 4x4 and back to 2 hi and drove on. this morning i was in my gravel driveway. again, just a few feet in forward and reverse in both 4 hi and 4 lo. 4 lo is decidedly worse. any tips on how to upload the video?
  5. Pikey

You have to post it on youtube. Then look up at the boxes that appear when you post. The second from the far right looks like a film strip. Click that and put the url to your you tube video in.
  6. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Easiest way to load video is to put it on YouTube then put the link for it here it will show up as the player once you post it.
  7. COdix699

COdix699 New Member

attempting to upload my first youtube video. should be up soon.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

all of the popping comes straight outta the transfer case.
  8. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The cases are aluminum so they are soft which is why not to use an impact. They have a low torque rating. even using a torque wrench I have take the plug all the way down. If you cant get the fill plug off DONT attempt to take off the drain plug. You will need to get new fill and drain plugs then work on getting off the fill plug. once off you can work on the drain plug. at that point check for cracks on the case but hopefully the plug is just stuck from not being removed in a long time. As far as the tcase popping I dont know but figured the more info, the better someone might be able to help you out.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok just saw the video and that sounds bad. Hopefully someone here can help. Your exhaust sounds good though:glasses:
  9. Pikey

It almost sounds like the chain is slipping on the gear.
  10. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

See smarter people than me