1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Technology...when does it cross the line?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Als09Sierra, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I was reading the thread about 4x4 technology and it got me thinking. How necessary is the new technology that goes into trucks and cars these days? You have cars that park themselves, let you know when you're falling asleep or drifting lanes, and supposedly will stop before you slam into the car in front of you (although I've seen the Volvo demo where the car slams into the truck...ouch).

Is technology making us better drivers, or taking over the job for us? I usually enjoy driving, and love a good road trip. Do I really trust the person driving next to me that can't parallel park their car, or is too busy reading their email to realize that they're about to get into an accident?

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I still don't like the new stuff.. More to go wrong.. The reliablty of some cars have gone down because of all the computer stuff.. I still say give me a good old Chevy 350 with a carb and you will have a good truck to last 10 years+.....And still get 18+ MPG....

3. Als09Sierra

I agree. There's nothing better than riding in my father-in-law's 65 442 with the top down. Not only is it a sharp looking and sounding car, but there's no navigation, computer screen or slew of buttons to figure out.

4. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I agree completely... You hardly even have to drive yourself anymore. I was watching a Youtube video just the other day about the new Toyota LandCruiser Prado (never available in the U.S.), and the four wheel drive technology allows you to, basically, take your foot off the accelerator while the car's computer uses cameras to navigate the difficult terrain. If I remember correctly, it even switches between 4 wheel high and low based on its own judgement. Where is the fun in that!?!?! Check out the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7eARInGNpg

I mean, don't get me wrong... it's pretty cool stuff. But to me, it really takes away from the whole off-roading experience.

5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I think the absolute edge for 4wd was when the computer started to decide which wheel to put power to.. Give me a good old shifter, and let me decide if i want power to two wheels or 4 wheels its that simple.
    I like my doodads, and most of the make a long road trip more enjoyable. But i never want my car to make a decision for me. However i did have an experience in IL where the roads had black ice on them and my wifes dodge journey allowed me to keep the car on the highway after there were semis stopped because of it and got startled since they were on a curve.. I stomped the brakes, and the car started to go sideways as i attempted to compensate (did i mention i was doing 70) and the computer kicked on the stability control and the car straightened out faster than i could have ever done it so it does have its place and helped me to avoid an accident..

6. ThatSilverStepside

ThatSilverStepside Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I think the traction control is a safety device...but they shouldnt make a car navigate the road for you, like the prado, all that does it take human error out of the equation, which means now idiots that cant drive on a paved road are now able to go offroad and compete with those that build and drive there own trucks

7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I don't need navigation screens in my truck, I can READ a map.

8. ThatSilverStepside

ThatSilverStepside Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

^X2, I had a tomtom for a while and all it ever did was lie and tell me to turn on to non-existant roads....so I pawned it..

9. Als09Sierra

I'm all about making cars and driving safer. Traction control, awesome. That's where I think technology helps. For example, the Heads-Up Display (HUD) is great technology. Why don't more cars have it? It keeps your eyes on the road, where they should be.

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

GPS note: I'm not a big fan, except when you're lost and don't have a map. My friend's daughter was lost in the backroads of VT last year at night. No lights, no street signs and no way to know which way she was going. It was a pretty scary situation, and a GPS would've made a huge difference. All mine does most of the time is make noise when I get in the truck, and tell me to get back on the highway when I'm using back roads.

10. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I dont own a GPS (though i will be getting one next year with lake maps for my boat HAHA) I keep an Atlas and try to mapquest out the area that im going.